Forget turning on the oven this summer. Here are 14 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes that will keep you out of the kitchen and your house cool.
I rely on my slow cooker heavily in the summertime. We live in an area where the older houses do not have air conditioners. Not only is the slow cooker a great alternative to not using the oven but the grill as well! After working all day and coming home to a hot house, I do not want to grill!
Why use a slow cooker in the summer instead of an oven?
- The slow cooker is a much smaller appliance and gives off less heat than an oven.
- Slow cooking uses a much lower temperature than an oven.
- The slow cooker uses much less energy.
- Great for side dishes while you grill meat.
- Perfect for transporting meals to potlucks.
Main Course Summer Slow Cooker Recipes:
Don’t feel like grilling? Many recipes that go on the grill or smoker can be made in the slow cooker. Excellent recipes for cooking all day while you’re away and come home to a fully prepared dinner.
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pork Sandwiches – Shred and pile on buns!
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas – Just needs tortillas and cheese to serve.
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – All in one pot! The pork and potatoes cook at the same time.
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken – No grill is necessary for this recipe.
- Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil – Shrimp, corn, potatoes, and sausage are all cooked in the crockpot!
- Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Ribs – Very popular recipe here on The Magical Slow Cooker!
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pig – Great with rice and mac salad!
Need a side dish to bring to a potluck or to go along with grilled meat? I have you covered with these easy but impressive sides.
- Slow Cooker Milk and Honey Corn on the Cob – Coconut and honey sweet fresh corn on the cob.
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Baked Beans – Pineapple and ham add so much flavor to these beans.
- Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Potatoes – Very unique side dish great with grilled steak or chicken.
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese – Can’t have a cookout without mac and cheese!
Don’t forget dessert!
Not many people make dessert in the slow cooker because I believe they haven’t tried these recipes! These recipes have summer flavors and your guests will want seconds!
- Slow Cooker Banana Nut Cake – This cake has cream cheese frosting!
- Slow Cooker His and Hers Cobbler – Two fillings are in this cobbler, no need to fight over which to choose.
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Apples – Thinly sliced apples baked in a buttery brown sugar sauce.
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Coconut Spoon Cake – You will love the tropical flavors in the warm spoon cake.
First Published 06/02/2017