Slow Cooker Kalua Pig is just like the Hawaiian pork that is served at a luau or at your local Hawaiian restaurant. Great on buns or with rice.
Most recipes for pulled pork in the slow cooker have barbecue sauce on them for flavor. This recipe does not need anything covering up the pork, a few simple
What is Kalua Pig:
- Kalua pig has nothing to do with Kaluha the coffee liquor.
- Kalua is a traditional Hawaiian cooking method that uses an imu, a type of underground oven.
- Kalua pig is often the main attraction at luaus.
- Here in this
recipe, we are using liquid hickory smoke and sea salt and cooking in the slow cooker instead of an imu.
How to Make:
- Only a few ingredients are needed to make Kalua Pig in the slow cooker; pork shoulder, cooking oil to brown the pork, Himalayan sea salt, hickory liquid smoke, and water.
- Don’t skip the Himalayan sea salt. It has a delicate salt flavor that highlights the pork flavor. Buy a jar of it and it will last you for years. I buy mine in the grinder jar.
- Hickory liquid smoke can be found on the same aisle as the barbecue sauce.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat on the stove-top. Add the cooking oil. Brown the roast on all sides.
- Place the pork into a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the Himalayan sea salt and pepper over the pork.
- Pour over the water and liquid smoke.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours. This may seem like a long time but it’s worth the wait.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks and serve with a
bitof the juices from the slow cooker.
What size pork butt?
This recipe is adaptable to any size pork butt, you can use this recipe with a 1.5 to
What to serve with Kalua Pig:
When serving I like to serve the pork with items you would see at a luau.
- Hawaiian rolls – on the side with butter or serve the pork on them
- Pasta Salad
- White rice
- Sriracha – for spicing up the pork for those who like heat.
Can I freeze Kalua Pig?
- Yes, place 2 cups of the shredded pork in a Ziplock bag along with a splash of the pork juices. Doing this will minimize freezer burn on the shredded pork.
- Freeze for up to two months. To thaw, place in the
fridgeover night. Heat in microwave or in a skillet for serving.
More pork recipes here on The Magical Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Hard Cider Barbecue Pork
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Jalapeno Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker Cuban Pork
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Loin
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Kalua Pig
- 4 lbs. Pork butt (often called pork shoulder)
- 1 tsp. ground pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. liquid hickory smoke
- Rinse and pat dry the pork roast. I don't often rinse my meat, but pork can sometimes be very slimey.
- Sprinkle the roast with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, heat up the oil, and sear the roast on all sides. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the water and hickory smoke.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 – 12 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time. If you roast is slightly frozen, you can cook on high for a few hours before switching to low.
- Shred the pork with two forks. I like to remove the roast onto a large baking sheet that has a lip on it. Discard any fat. Add the shredded roast back to the slow cooker with about a cup of the juices that it was cooked in.
- Serve and enjoy. Serving suggestions are rice, mac salad, hawaiian rolls and don't forget the sriracha.
How to Video:
Different size of pork shoulder?Any size pork roast can be used, increase or decrease the salt, pepper, liquid smoke amounts slightly.
If you want to freeze the pork:
- Place 2 cups of the shredded pork in a Ziplock bag along with a splash of the pork juices. Doing this will minimize freezer burn on the shredded pork.
- Freeze for up to two months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight. Heat in microwave or in a skillet for serving.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
First Published 08/03/2014