Slow cooker Poor Man’s Stew is hearty and budget friendly
Looking for a budget meal this week? I made this Poor Man’s Stew for $6.24 and it feeds 5 people! I put ground beef, russet potatoes, carrots, onions, a garlic clove (not pictured, I had this on hand), tomato paste, water and seasoning in my slow cooker simmered it all day to make this Hearty Poor Man’s Stew.
The inspiration for this meal came from my favorite old movie The Princess Bride. This week I finished the book As You Wish- Inconceivable Tales from the making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes (the man in black), a fantastic read if you are a big fan of the movie. My husband and I watched the movie again after we both read the behind the scenes book, and had quite a few good laughs knowing what the characters had been through during the scenes. I made a stew similar to the one seen in the movie where Fezzic (Andre the Giant) hand fed Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) a hearty stew trying to get him sober, so they could go find and save Westley.
If you haven’t seen The Princess Bride, you will still love this budget Poor Man’s Stew. Not only is it cheap, it is very easy to make and really hits the spot. I recommend serving this stew with regular loaf sandwich bread slathered with butter. Enjoy!
Below is the YouTube video about how to make this Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Stew. You Can follow me on YouTube, here.
Slow Cooker Poor Man's Stew
- 1 lb. ground beef browned and drained
- 1.5 lbs potatoes diced large
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced (I had this on hand already)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
Slow Cooke Size:
- 5 quart or larger
- Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve with buttered sandwich bread. Enjoy!
You may also like: Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy