Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Stew is made from scratch with ground beef to save money.
Looking for a budget meal this week? I made this Poor Man’s Stew for $6.24 and it feeds 5 people! I put ground beef, russet potatoes, carrots, onions, a garlic clove (not pictured, I had this on hand), tomato paste, water and seasoning in my slow cooker simmered it all day to make this Hearty Poor Man’s Stew.
The inspiration for this meal came from my favorite old movie The Princess Bride. I made a stew similar to the one seen in the movie where Fezzic (Andre the Giant)
If you haven’t seen The Princess Bride, you will still love this budget Poor Man’s Stew. Not only is it cheap, it is very easy to make and really hits the spot. I recommend serving this stew with regular loaf sandwich bread slathered with butter. Enjoy!
How to make Poor Man’s Stew:
You will need these ingredients:
Below is the YouTube video about how to make this Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Stew. You Can follow me on YouTube, here.
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 1 lb. ground beef browned and drained
- 1.5 lbs potatoes diced large
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced (I had this on hand already)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Add the cooked ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve with buttered sandwich bread. Enjoy!