If you are looking for the Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe, look no further! This recipe is thick and hearty.
This recipe for slow cooker beef stew turned out fantastic! I was pretty excited when I got home from work, to find that my beef stew had thickened perfectly and turned out great.
The last time I made beef stew, was when I first got married 11 years ago, oh man what a disaster, it was so runny and had no flavor. The recipe I tried was from a famous slow cooker cookbook and the end result was more of soup than stew. This recipe will not disappoint you, it is full of flavor, and it’s nice and thick. This stew recipe reminds me a perfect pot roast dinner, with everything chopped to the perfect size, with gravy on it!
I start by adding some seasonings to a 1/2 cup of flour, toss my stew meat with it, then brown the meat. I de-glaze the pan with beef broth, and stir in a small can of tomato paste. Then I add the veggies, meat and sauce to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. And then add some frozen peas, and cook a little longer
Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. stew meat or 2 pounds any lean roast cut into 1 inch or so squares
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- cooking oil, about 2 tablespoons
- 28 oz. beef broth (2 14 oz. cans)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1½ pounds red potatoes quartered or diced 1 inch or so
- 1 lb. bag baby carrots
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the slow cooker.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme in a big ziplock bag. Shake, then add the stew meat.
- Shake to coat the pieces evenly. (or this can be done in a large bowl)
- Brown the meat in the cooking oil on all sides, you don't need to cook the meat through. You may need to cook the meat in batches.
- De-glaze the pan with the beef broth. Add the tomato paste, scrape up any brown bits of meat and flour into the sauce. The sauce will thicken and will only take a few minutes.
- Add the meat and sauce to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a big stir.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add peas at the end of cooking time. Put lid back on and cook for 15 more minutes to thaw the peas. If the stew thickens to much after being stirred, add water.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans