If you are looking for the Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe, look no further! This recipe is thick and hearty and from scratch.
This is a recipe everyone should have in their back pocket for the slow cooker. My recipe is thick and hearty and has great reviews.
The first time I made beef stew is when I first married 17 years ago. Oh man what a disaster, that recipe turned out runny and had no flavor. The recipe I tried was from a famous slow cooker cookbook and the end result was more of watery soup than a stew.
How to make the best Slow Cooker Beef Stew:
This recipe is easy and still made from scratch. Be sure to dice your vegetables before starting on the sauce for a smooth experience.
You will need:
- cubed stew meat
- flour – this is what thickens the stew
- onion powder
- dried thyme
- cooking oil
- beef broth
- tomato paste – this thickens the stew too
- red potatoes
- baby carrots
- frozen peas (optional)
Time to prepare:
- Add the seasonings to the flour.
- Toss the beef in the flour mixture.
- Cook the beef in the cooking oil on the stove top in a large skillet.
- Deglaze the pan with the beef broth and add the tomato paste.
- Add the veggies to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the meat/sauce mixture over the veggies in the slow cooker.
How long do I cook?
Cook on low for 7-8 hours for perfectly tender beef and vegetables. I recommend the low setting for this recipe.
How to serve:
- Serve warm right out of the slow cooker. This recipe is great for potlucks or bringing a meal to a sick friend.
- Serve with dinner rolls, butter, and a side salad if desired.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. I don’t recommend freezing beef stew with potatoes for potatoes don’t do well in the freezer.
This recipe will not disappoint you, it is full of flavor, and it’s nice and thick. This stew recipe reminds me of a perfect pot roast dinner, with everything chopped to the perfect size, with gravy on it!
Looking for a great Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe? Here is my recipe recommendation for the instant pot.
Other Slow Cooker Stew recipes that are a must-try!
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker Beefy Bacon Man Stew
- Slow Cooker A1 Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Size: 6-quart or larger
- 2 lbs. stew meat or 2 pounds any lean roast cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- cooking oil, about 2 tablespoons
- 28 oz. beef broth (2 14 oz. cans)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs. red potatoes quartered or diced cut into inch pieces
- 1 lb. bag baby carrots
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas optional
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the slow cooker.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme in a big ziplock bag. Shake, then add the stew meat.
- Shake to coat the pieces evenly. (or this can be done in a large bowl)
- Brown the meat in the cooking oil on all sides, you don’t need to cook the meat through. You may need to cook the meat in batches.
- De-glaze the pan with the beef broth. Add the tomato paste, scrape up any brown bits of meat and flour into the sauce. The sauce will thicken and will only take a few minutes.
- Add the meat and sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add peas at the end of cooking time. Put the lid back on and cook for 15 more minutes to thaw the peas. If the stew thickens too much after being stirred, add water.