Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew is a wonderful recipe for St. Patrick’s day, or really any day!
What are y’all cooking for St. Patrick’s day dinner? This Guinness Beef Stew is what I’ll be making! For about the last 10 years I’ve made corned beef, which is great! But why not switch it up this year. This stew is thick and hearty and has a slight ale taste from the Guinness, it’s not overpowering though. Over the years I’ve had so much luck cooking beef and beer in the slow cooker, it really does have a special flavor to it and smells so great while cooking.
This recipe is a spin-off of my original beef stew recipe, why fix something if it’s not broken, right? I switch out some of the beef broth for a bottle of Guinness. I forgot to add peas to this, but after tasting the final dish, they were not missed!
This is a great recipe to put on before work and come home to the house smelling great and dinner is ready to serve with no effort!
See how to make this beef stew below in my video. You can follow me on YouTube here.
I hope you try this Guinness beef stew, even if it’s not on St. Patrick’s day you will love it!
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, well trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried leaf oregano (not ground)
- 1 tsp. dried leaf thyme (not ground)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (15-oz.) can beef broth
- 3 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 3 cups cut carrots
- 2 cups cut celery
- 1 small white onion, cut into large pieces
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 (11.2-oz.) bottle Guinness beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-quart or larger
- In a large ziplock bag, add the flour, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and onion powder. Add the beef and shake until the beef is well coated.
- In a large skillet set to medium high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot add the flour coated beef and brown the meat on all sides, don't let burn. When the meat has browned add the tomato paste and beef broth. Stir the beef, tomato sauce and beef broth until a thick sauce forms. Set aside off the heat.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the slow cooker. Add the beef and sauce mixture over the veggies. Pour over the Guinness beer and stir. Add bay leaves on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
For this recipe I used my 6.5 quart touch-screen Crock-Pot®.
You May also like: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage