This Irish inspired recipe for Slow Cooker Colcannon potatoes is a must-try! Potatoes and cabbage are a match made in heaven.
This recipe may come to you as a shock to you if you have never heard of it! Try this Irish recipe for colcannon potatoes as a side dish for your St. Patrick’s day meal.
How to make colcannon potatoes in the crockpot:
- Gather russet potatoes, cabbage, chicken bouillon cubes, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add to the slow cooker. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. It is fine to leave some cabbage above the water line.
How long do I cook?
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4.5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Drain the cabbage and potatoes.
- Add melted butter and heavy cream, mash the potatoes using a potato masher, you can use a handheld mixer but using a potato masher will keep some of the cabbage intact.
- Next, add cooked bacon crumbles and green onions. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I use kale instead of cabbage?
Kale is often used in colcannon potatoes. If you want to use kale in this recipe instead of cabbage you will need to wait to add it. Add 4 cups of chopped kale the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Kale doesn’t take long to soften in the slow cooker.
Can I use red or gold potatoes?
Yes! In fact, if you use red or gold potatoes you do not need to peel them, just cube and add to the slow cooker.
What goes good with Colcannon Potatoes?
- Slow Cooker Maple Mustard Corned Beef or Classic Corned Beef (skip the potatoes and cabbage in that classic recipe)
- Honey Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots – Recipe by Cafe Delights
- Honey Apple Pork Loin
Slow Cooker Colcannon Potatoes
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2.5 lbs. russet potatoes (peeled and diced) (doesn't need to be exact, I usually use about a half a 5 lb. bag).
- 1/2 head cabbage (rough chopped)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- water to cover
- 1/2 cup half and half (or milk) plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- Add the peeled potatoes and chopped cabbage to the slow cooker. Add the chicken boullion cubes, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour over just enough water to cover the potatoes and most of the cabbage. It is okay if some of the cabbage isn't under water. Don't fill your slow cooker to the tip top, or you risk it overflowing during the cooking time.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4.5 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, drain the water off the potatoes and cabbage.
- Pour over the melted butter, half and half, salt and pepper.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes. If needed add a touch more half and half if the potatoes look dry, don't over do it though! After you have mashed the potatoes, add the cooked bacon and green onion.
- Stir and serve!