This Easy Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese has tender pasta, cream cheese and sharp cheddar, a recipe you’ll want to make every week!
As I am writing up this recipe for you I am dreaming about making it again this week! This mac and cheese is ultra creamy and a family favorite.
I use two types of cheese in this and cream cheese to thicken the sauce, no need for a flour and butter roux to make this.
Should I boil the noodles?
Yes! The slow cooker does not get hot enough, fast enough to properly cook noodles. You will be left with a chalky mess if you do not boil the noodles.
How to make Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese:
You will need these ingredients:
- Dried elbow noodles (we will cook them in first step on the stove-top)
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar
- White sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper
That’s it! May not be the healthiest meal but at least it has real ingredients.
- Start by boiling the noodles as directed on the package. Do not cook a minute longer. Get other ingredients ready while pasta cooks.
- After draining pasta add it to the slow cooker while it’s still hot and add remaining ingredients. Stir.
How long to cook:
Add the lid and set the slow cooker to High. Cook for 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
What to serve this with:
- Sliced garden tomatoes
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Any type of grilled meat
- Garden salad with dressing
- Fresh fruit
- Steamed veggies
I think your family will enjoy this recipe as much as mine does. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Size: 4 quart or larger
- 2 cups dried elbow noodles, large or small (see instructions on how to prepare)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions on the stove top and not any longer. Get other ingredients ready while pasta cooks
- Drain the pasta immediately after done cooking and add to the slow cooker add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Stir the pasta twice during this cooking time, once at the hour mark and then and the 1.5 hour mark. Be gentle when you stir.
- When the cooking time is up add more cheese on top, add the lid and let melt for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!