This Slow Cooker Cube Steak is the perfect comfort food dinner made with just five ingredients. A savory gravy is made from brown gravy mix, beef broth, golden mushroom soup, and a flavorful onion mix. The cube steak cooks to fork tender in just a matter of hours. Add this easy recipe to your next meal plan!
This Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak is another steak and gravy recipe that’s a quick and easy and packed with lots of flavor.
How do you make cube steak so it’s not tough?
There are several ways to cook cube steak so it isn’t so tough. One of the most popular is using a crock pot and slowly cooking it in a gravy. In this crockpot cube steak recipe, we use a combination of gravy mix, beef broth, and a condensed soup to create a gravy recipe that is sure to make the cube steak tender.
- Cube Steak: This meat is naturally tougher because it’s typically cut from a cow’s shoulder or hind end. It’s also put through a tenderizer before packaging; hence, why it has the indentions.
- Brown Gravy Mix: In order to jumpstart the beef gravy mix for the cubed steaks, you’ll want to use two premade gravy packs like this.
- Beef Broth: Whereas water would be mixed with the gravy packet, using the broth will give it more of a beef flavor.
- Golden Mushroom Soup: This soup is less thick in texture than regular cream of mushroom soup and also tomato puree in addition to mushrooms and beef stock.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix: A combination of dry onion flakes, onion powder, black pepper, celery seed, paprika, parsley, and beef bullion granules for the perfect seasoning mixture.
Step One – Place cube steaks into the slow cooker.
Step Two – Sprinkle on the lipton onion soup mix.
Step Three – Pour over the remaining wet ingredients and brown gravy packets.
Step Four – Cover and cook cube steak on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 6-7hours. Serve with a few suggestions below and enjoy!
How to serve
- The cubed steaks taste wonderful over a bed of egg noodles. Be sure to spoon over some extra gravy on top.
- In addition to egg noodles, you may enjoy this steak with a side of Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, or Jalapeno Mac and Cheese. You can actually put the crock pot cubed steak on a bed of mashed potatoes or steamed white rice.
- This is also delicious, served with extra sauteed mushrooms and onions over top.
- And don’t forget the dinner rolls or cornbread!
Recipe FAQs and Variations
It is best to let the frozen cube steak defrost to room temperature before cooking. Place cube steak in the fridge overnight to defrost.
If the gravy has not thickened, remove from the slow cooker and add to a sauce pot. Bring the gravy to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, reheat in the microwave.
Regular condensed cream of mushroom can be used in place of the golden mushroom. Cream of celery soup or chicken soup are other substitutions that pair well with this tender cube steak recipe.
Do not add any extra salt, as the soup mix, gravy packets and soup all have sodium in them.
Slow Cooker Cubed Steak
- 1 ½ lbs. cubed steak about 6 pieces (can use up to 2 lbs.)
- 1 packet onion soup mix (I used Lipton)
- 2 oz. brown gravy mix two 1 oz. packets (I used McCormick)
- 21 oz. condensed golden mushroom soup two 10.5 oz. cans
- 1 ½ cup beef stock or water
- parsley for garnish optional
- To the slow cooker, add the cubed steak, onion soup mix, brown gravy mix, condensed mushroom soup, and pour the beef stock over everything. Lightly mix and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Carefully stir and serve over desired side such as egg noodles, rice or mashded potatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
- If the gravy has not thickened, remove from the slow cooker and add to a sauce pot. Bring the gravy to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, reheat in the microwave.
- Regular condensed cream of mushroom can be used in place of the golden mushroom.
- Can be served over mashed potatoes as well.
- Do not add any extra salt, as the soup mix, gravy packets and soup all have sodium in them.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.