Hamburger hash in the crock pot has tender potatoes, beef and corn in a creamy mushroom sauce then topped with cheese.
I have a fun recipe for you today. This Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash recipe turns out fantastic! Tender Potatoes, sauce, meat, corn, and cheese. This recipe is a keeper! It reminds me of my Tater Tot Casserole Recipe on the blog, but with fresh-cut potatoes instead of tots, and corn instead of green beans.
I tested this recipe a few times before I came up with the version below, my husband liked them all, me not so much. The first time I made it without the cream of mushroom, and used beef broth and a can of diced tomatoes and oregano for seasoning. That time it turned out like soup.
The second time, I used less of the broth and tomatoes; the flavor was blah. The recipe that I ended up loving that I am sharing here has two cans of cream of mushroom, and I don’t add any water. The hash turned out very flavorful and thick. I topped this meal with sharp cheddar cheese, and that made it over the top good, pure comfort food!
How to make Hamburger Hash:
You will need these ingredients:
- Ground beef
- White onion
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cream of mushroom soup (do not add water)
- Can of Corn
- Russet Potatoes
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet on the stove top. Add the potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the meat, cream of mushroom soup, corn and sprinkle over the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add half of the cheese. Stir.
How long to cook:
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Add remaining cheese, cover again and let that melt for 10 minutes.
Scoop into bowls and serve. I don’t serve anything with this meal it’s that good! It’s a complete hearty meal. Enjoy.
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 21.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup (two 10.75 oz. cans) do not add water
- 15.25 oz. can corn, drain well
- 1½ lbs. russet potatoes (about 5 cups diced, cut into SMALL 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheese, divided
- Brown the beef and onion together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the fat.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut them into cubes, leave the skin on. Add the potatoes to the slow cooker. Pour over the meat and onion into the slow cooker. Add the soup, salt, pepper, garlic powder, corn and half of the cheese. Stir. Spread out the hash into a flat layer.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Add the remaining shredded cheese evenly over the hash. Cover and let the cheese melt for about 10 minutes.