Slow Cooker Cheeseburger soup is heaven in a bowl, try to eat just one serving!
Hello! I have another great recipe for fall! This is a recipe I’ve wanted to put on the website for years. The first time I made this years ago I was trying another bloggers recipe, her recipe called for milk and flour to be mixed together in a mason jar then stirred into the soup to thicken it, which would have worked fine if I didn’t use self rising flour (it’s all I had on hand by accident), what a mess! The pot was growing and bubbling after I added the flour mixture!
This go around I really thought it through how I wanted to thicken this soup, since I did not want to add flour. I decided to use a small amount of chicken broth, just 3 cups. Then I add Velveeta cheese and cream cheese to thicken the soup towards the end of the cooking time, worked like a charm.
Below is what the soup looks like before cooking, not a ton of liquid, that is ok. The Velveeta and cream cheese will make the right amount of liquid when it is added at the 7th hour.
After 7 hours on low, the Velveeta and cream cheese are added, I let those melt into the soup for 1 hour. Then a quick stir and a perfect velvety soup forms.
Enjoy this recipe! I have so many more planned to share this fall and winter. Have a great weekend.
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, peeled and diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. Velveeta cheese (add towards the end of the cooking time)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (add towards the end of the cooking time)
Slow Cooker Size:
- 6 quart or larger
- (note before starting this recipe, the total slow cooking time is 8 hours, the Velveeta cheese and cream cheese are added at the 7th hour and cooked for 1 more hour)
- Add the cooked beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder and chicken broth. DO NOT add Velveeta cheese and cream cheese yet.
- Cover and cook and LOW for 7 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Cut the velveeta cheese and cream cheese into cubes, add to the soup in the slow cooker. Stir to get the cubes into the soup (they won't melt straight away).
- Cover and cook for one more hour on low.
- Stir until the cheeses are blended into the soup. Serve and enjoy!
You may also like: Slow Cooker Acorn Squash