Packed with lean ground beef, frozen mixed vegetables, tomato basil soup, and a variety of seasonings – this Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup has all the flavor and is sure to become a family favorite. This easy hamburger soup is the perfect comfort food to cozy up with on a cold day.
Speaking of easy soup recipes that will keep you warm through the cool fall and winter months, add my Slow Cooker 7 Can Soup to your next meal.
What is hamburger soup?
Hamburger soup is known as one of America’s most classic soup recipes. It’s a hearty soup packed with ground beef and frozen mixed vegetables. Though, you can add just about any combination of fresh vegetables. The varieties of crockpot hamburger soup are almost endless! This version has frozen veggies and tomato soup as a base! You don’t want to miss trying this recipe.
Whether you cook this soup in a slow cooker, dutch oven, instant pot, or on the stovetop – it’s a recipe to keep on hand.
- Ground Beef: To ensure you have plenty of beef, it’s best to use no less than 2 pounds. Also, the leaner the meat, the less grease content your soup will have.
- Tomato Basil Soup: Two cans of this flavored soup will yield a tasty tomato base flavor that merges flawlessly with the other ingredients.
- Vegetables: To make this recipe easy, it calls for frozen mixed vegetables. A sweet yellow onion is also diced and added to the mix as well.
- Water: Helps create a more soupy base.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian season add the winning flavor combination to this crock pot hamburger soup recipe.
Step One – Cook the ground beef on the stove top with the seasoning and yellow onion. Add to the slow cooker along with the bags of frozen vegetables and tomato basil soup. Then, pour in water.
Step Two – Stir all ingredients together to combine well.
Step Three – Cook on HIGH For 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours.
How to serve
- As-is: Slow cooker hamburger soup can be served as is. Simply put a few scoops in a bowl and enjoy.
- Bread: This classic hamburger soup pairs perfectly with a variety of bread. Serve with slices of garlic bread, cornbread, French bread, buttery dinner rolls, or any crusty bread.
- Toppings: Crock pot hamburger soup can be topped with crushed crackers, oyster crackers, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, a dollop of sour cream, and/or an extra dash of Italian seasoning.
- Meat Substitutions: Although this is called hamburger soup, you can substitute the ground beef for ground turkey, ground chicken, or any other ground meat you choose. It would even be great with stew meat.
- Add tomatoes: Turn this into a tomato hamburger soup by adding diced tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, and tomato sauce. If you want a thicker soup, add tomato paste.
- More vegetables: Other vegetables you can add are chopped celery, bell pepper, fresh green beans, and frozen peas.
- Heartier Soup: Make this soup even more hearty by adding cooked rice or pasta.
Place any remaining hamburger soup in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to one week. Reheat over medium-low heat on the stovetop. This soup also freezes well for up to 3 months.
Russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes are great selections for this soup. Cut them into 1/2-inch cubes to ensure they get done. You can even use sweet potatoes.
Sure! It will actually add to the beefy flavor. Or you can add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce for a pack of beefy type flavor.
Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 small sweet yellow onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 20 oz. mixed vegetables (two 10-oz. packages) I use Green Giant brand with carrots, corn, peas, and green beans.
- 38 oz. Progresso tomato basil soup (two 19-oz. cans)
- 1 cup water
- To a large skillet on the stove top, add the ground beef. Add the onion, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Crumble and brown. Drain off the fat if your meat is greasy.
- Add the beef and onion to the slow cooker. Add the bags of frozen vegetables.
- Pour in the tomato basil soup and water. Stir.
- Cook on HIGH For 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with french bread, garlic bread or dinner rolls. Enjoy!
How to Video:
- To store: Place any remaining hamburger soup in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to one week. Reheat over medium-low heat on the stovetop. This soup also freezes well for up to 3 months.
- You can add Yukon or russet potatoes if you cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toppings are not necessary for this flavorful soup, it’s wonderful as is. Though, some like to top this with crackers, cheese, and sliced green onion.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.