This Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup recipe is a must-try, especially when looking for a hearty, healthy, and comfort food. The prep time is minimal, and it cooks nice and slow to allow the flavors to fuse together.
Why this recipe works
This is the recipe to try when you’re looking for a delicious homemade vegetable soup. This crockpot vegetable soup combines frozen vegetables, fresh vegetables, diced tomatoes, and delicious flavors from fresh herbs.
This is a soup the entire family will enjoy and one you can make plenty of to have leftovers. It’s a comfort food that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
- Vegetable Broth: Adding broth will help create the soupy base and give it an extra vegetable flavor.
- Tomatoes: The quickest and easiest way to add these is by using canned tomatoes. You’ll need both crushed tomatoes and fire roasted tomatoes (which enhance the flavor even more).
- Vegetables: Frozen mixed vegetables are another easy route to take. The frozen bags come with frozen green greens, carrots, and peas. Additional veggies you’ll add are chopped fresh carrots, celery, and onion.
- Red Potatoes: You’ll only need a handful because they’ll be diced into small pieces (think bite size).
- Seasonings: Fresh bay leaves, freshly minced garlic, salt, black pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and crushed red pepper add an amazing taste to this vegetable soup.
Step One – Add diced red potatoes, chopped celery, onions, carrots, and minced garlic to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Next, add the tomatoes, frozen vegetables, and the remaining seasonings.
Step Three – Pour in the chicken broth and drop in the bay leaves.
Step Four – Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 hours (or until the potatoes are tender). Serve hot, with a fresh parsley garnish, and enjoy!
How to serve
- You can garnish this vegetable soup with fresh parsley, fresh basil, or extra herbal seasonings.
- You can also try serving the soup with orzo or macaroni pasta.
- And don’t forget to serve bread! A crusty bread goes well because the broth part of the soup will soften it. It can also be paired with soft bread like a dinner roll or Italian bread.
Store this vegetable soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can easily reheat it on the stove top or in portions in the microwave (in a microwave-safe bowl).
No. Any type of potato can be used in this recipe. Yukon gold potatoes, Russet potatoes, or mini potatoes can be used in replacement of red potatoes.
Add any canned beans (drained and rinsed) can be added for a more hearty soup. Lima beans and white beans are two kinds that pair perfectly in this delicious soup. Adding ground beef is another option as well.
Not necessarily; however, the crushed red pepper can be left out.
Sure! You can still dice those or keep them whole.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 3-4 medium sized red potatoes diced into small pieces
- 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz. bag mixed vegetables
- 3 cloves garlic Minced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper optional
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Add all the ingredients to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley or fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, reheat on the stove top or portions in the microwave.
- Any type of potato can be used in this recipe.
- The crushed red pepper can be left out.
- Try serving with orzo or macaroni pasta.
- Add any kind of canned beans (drained and rinsed) for a more hearty soup.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.