Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect slow cooker meal for cold weather days. Your whole family is sure to enjoy this cheesy soup that’s packed with fresh broccoli florets and carrots. Add this broccoli cheese soup to your next meal plan for an irresistible soup everyone will love.
Why you should try this crock pot broccoli cheese soup recipe
If you’ve ever had a bowl of Panera Bread broccoli cheddar soup, then you know how good this recipe will taste. With minimal kitchen staples, you’re about to create your own version of creamy broccoli cheese soup. Once your broccoli florets are chopped, the onion is diced, and the carrots are shredded, you’ll dump, go, and have a tasty crockpot broccoli cheese soup.
- Broccoli: I use 2 heads of broccoli or about 6 cups after being cut.
- Carrots: Shred these with a cheese grater or dice.
- Onion: The yellow onion will be diced and added for texture and flavor.
- Chicken broth: Chicken stock or broth can add a blast of flavor to any soup. If you want to make this crock pot broccoli cheese soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
- Thickening agent: I whisk cornstarch into the chicken broth above.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder and pepper.
- Cheese: I use Velveeta, which makes a velvety smooth soup, instead of shredded cheddar cheese which can make a grainy consistency.
- Heavy Cream: This helps thicken the soup too. You can use a light cream such as half and half, milk or whipping cream, though you will have a much thinner consistency.
Step One – Place the chopped broccoli (head and stems), shredded carrots, onion, garlic powder, and pepper into the slow cooker.
Step Two – Pour chicken broth and cornstarch that have been whisked together over the vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
Step Three – When cooking time is up, pour in the heavy cream and cubed Velveeta cheese.
Step Four – Stir until well combined and cook for an additional 20 minutes on HIGH. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to serve:
- Serve as-is in a bowl or in a sourdough bread bowl.
- Add a few toppings, such as shredded cheese, freshly cracked pepper, and chopped green onions.
- Serve alongside crusty bread, garlic bread or a couple of scoops inside of bread bowls.
- This soup also pairs well with a sandwich or side salad.
- This soup is wonderful over a baked potato as well.
Yes, omit the cornstarch to make this lower in carbs. The soup won’t be as thick but still have great flavor. You can sub cream cheese for the heavy cream to help thicken a bit more if desired.
Yes, but follow these directions: Sharp cheddar cheese will give the most flavor, and other milder cheeses won’t flavor the soup correctly. Use 3 cups freshly grated cheese, pre-shredded will not melt as well. Stir only one cup at a time.
Yes. And if you choose to, don’t worry about adding any extra.
No, unless you want to puree the soup. The broccoli will break into smaller pieces as it cooks, so there really is no reason to use an immersion blender.
Some people like to use vegetable stock or chicken bone broth. You can really use any of your favorite broths (but I wouldn’t recommend beef for this recipe).
Pour any remaining soup in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove top over medium to medium low heat.
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 heads broccoli 6-8 cups after being cut or can use 14-16 ounces of frozen broccoli
- 2 carrots shred with a cheese grater or dice small.
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1/4 cup corn starch
WAIT TO ADD THESE INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb. velveeta cheese (this is the smaller box)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut the heads of broccoli by cutting off each floret. Cut the stem into medium size pieces. Add to the slow cooker. If using frozen, no need to cut up more.
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the chicken broth and cornstarch. The chicken broth must be at room temperature or cold for this not to clump. Pour over the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- When the cooking time is up pour in the heavy cream and velveeta (cut into cubes). Stir.
- Replace the lid and cook for 20 more minutes on HIGH.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
- Yes, but follow these directions:
- Sharp cheese will give the most flavor, other milder cheeses won’t flavor the soup correctly.
- Use 3 cups freshly grated cheese, pre-shredded will not melt as well.
- Stir only one cup at a time.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.