Can’t get enough pumpkin this fall? You will love this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili that has pumpkin puree and a touch of pumpkin spice.
We love this chili during the fall months around here, great for game day or a lazy Sunday. So many chili recipes are terrific in the crockpot, when we aren’t making this, we have Chipotle Chili, Venison Chili or V8 Chili slow cooking.
This easy pumpkin chili has a great pumpkin flavor but still tastes like the chili you love. I add pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. I do not add sugar to this my version, I don’t think it needs it!
How to make Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili:
- Start by browning hamburger in a skillet on the
stove top. Crumble and cook until browned. Drain the fat.
- Add the ground beef to the slow cooker along with onion, bell pepper, pinto beans, habanero (optional, add if you like heat), pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt
- Stir, cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
Should I use fresh pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin?
Can I use turkey instead of beef?
Ground turkey is a fabulous substitute for ground beef in this recipe. I love ground turkey in chili and use it my favorite chipotle turkey chili.
Can I make this vegetarian?
- Substitute soy crumbles for the ground beef.
- Add additional beans, you can even add a can of black or garbanzo beans
- Or fill this chili with additional vegetables such as corn, mushrooms, butternut squash cubes.
What should I serve with this?
- I made pumpkin cornbread, and it was an excellent side, great with butter and honey.
- Use your usual favorite chili toppings on this! All the toppings are good; cheese, green onion, crackers, and even sour cream.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh made)
- 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 30 oz. pinto beans (two 15 oz. cans) drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 habanero pepper, minced (optional, only use if you like spicy!)
My favorite chili fixings:
- shredded cheddar
- sliced green onion
- cornbread – pumpkin or regular
- Start by browning the ground beef. Do this on the stove top in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Brown the meat and crumble it with a wooden spoon or spatula. Drain any fat and then add the ground beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, pinto beans, water, chili powder, pumpkin spice, salt yellow onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Add a minced habanero pepper if you want a spicy chili. Stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, stir and serve. Top with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy!
- Set a large pot over medium high heat. When the pot is hot add the ground beef, bell peppers and onions. Crumble beef with a wooden spoon. When the meat is browned, drain the fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Bring up to a boil, then lower the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often so it doesn't burn.