Love pumpkin? This delicious Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spoon Cake is made with canned pumpkin and spices and topped with pecans.
There’s no doubt that pumpkin is both the scent and flavor of fall. While the stores have exchanged their Halloween candy and costumes and autumn leave decorations for artificial Christmas trees and wrapping paper, I firmly believe that it’s still pumpkin season.
In fact, I think the entire month of November, straight up to Thanksgiving, is the perfect time to make anything and everything with pumpkin.
If you’re looking for something beyond the traditional pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice lattes that is still easy and delicious with that much-loved pumpkin flavor, this slow cooker pumpkin spoon cake is it.
It’s super easy to make and you probably have most of the ingredients in your fridge or cupboard – a few seasonings, egg, pecans, canned pumpkin
Personally, I prefer Libby’s canned pumpkin over all others because I think it has a true pumpkin flavor and it just blends well with the cake mix.
How to make pumpkin spoon cake:
After I mix the cake batter ingredients together, I spread the batter in to a well greased 6-quart oval slow cooker. Then I top it with whole pecans.
Place the lid on it and cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes on high.
Below is what the cake looks like after cooking.
This is a great recipe to make on a busy night as the preparation time is minimal. You can put it in the slow cooker at the beginning of dinner and by the time you’re ready for dessert, it will be ready to eat.
Serve warm over vanilla ice cream and indulge in the fluffy richness of the dessert. I prefer to stay on the hotter side of warm as I like the ice cream to melt just a bit more into the cake.
I plan to make this often for the rest of fall! It’s perfect for dessert on Thanksgiving as an alternative to basic pumpkin pie and it also requires a lot less time in the kitchen than most other pumpkin desserts. Just be prepared for everyone to want seconds because it’s just so good!
Can I put a glaze on this!
Yes! If you want to add a glaze on this I would use this recipe from Pillsbury and put on the cake while it is still warm.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spoon Cake
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter 1 stick
- ⅔ cups water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. cloves
- pinch salt
- ½ cup whole pecans
- vanilla ice cream
- Add the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt to a large bowl. Whisk until combined, some chunks of cake mix are ok, don’t over mix.
- Spray the slow cooker well with non-stick spray.
- Pour the cake batter into the slow cooker, spread until smooth.
- Add the pecans on top of the cake batter, arrange them in a design if desired.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hours and 45 minutes. (see notes)
- After the cooking time is done, turn off the slow cooker.
- Spoon the cake into bowls and top with ice cream, if desired.