Love pumpkin? This delicious Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spoon Cake is made with simple ingredients like canned pumpkin, cake mix, and spices and topped with pecans and a homemade glaze.
Is this similar to crock pot pumpkin dump cake?
Actually, it’s the exact same thing. Traditionally, a dump cake consists of “dumping” fruit or another filling into a pan and then dumping cake mix on top, I prefer to mix my ingredients. In this “dump cake” recipe, you’ll be using pumpkin puree and a powdered sugar glaze with whole pecans on top.
- Cake Mix: Yellow cake mix is the preferred one to use for this recipe.
- Pumpkin Puree: Instead of using real pumpkin, pumpkin puree provides the perfect amount of pumpkin flavor.
- For the Cake: Eggs, melted butter, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- For the Icing: Powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream.
Step One – In a large bowl, add the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, melted butter, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
Step Two – Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
Step Three – Pour the pumpkin pie mix into the crock pot and smooth with a wooden spoon.
Step Four – Add the pecans on top of the pumpkin mixture (arranging them in a design is optional).
Step Five – Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Step Six – Drizzle homemade glaze on top (optional).
How do I serve this dessert?
- The most commonly asked question is if it should be served hot or cold. The answer is either way. It’s mostly about personal preference.
- You can also serve this dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And since it’s pecan based, you can also serve it with pecan ice cream.
- Other toppings that pair well with this dump cake are chopped pecans, a sprinkle of cinnamon, whipped cream, or even a drizzle of maple syrup.
Most people prefer to serve warm slow cooker pumpkin cake.
You can use any complimentary dry cake mix you prefer. White cake mix, spice cake mix or even a pumpkin flavored cake mix could work as well.
Place any remaining into an airtight container and store on the counter in room temperature. You can also place it in the fridge.
You can use pumpkin pie spice along with the other spices.
Yes, spray the crockpot very well with it to keep the cake from sticking.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter 1 stick
- ⅔ cups water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. cloves
- pinch salt
- ½ cup whole pecans
For the glaze:
- vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Add the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, melted butter, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt to a large bowl. Whisk until combined, some chunks of cake mix are ok, don't over mix.
- Spray the slow cooker well with non-stick spray.
- Pour the cake batter into the slow cooker, spread until smooth.
- Add the pecans on top of the cake batter, arrange them in a design if desired.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hours and 45 minutes. (see notes)
- After the cooking time is done, turn off the slow cooker.
For the glaze:
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add the vanilla extract and heavy cream and stir until combined. I recommend adding the liquid slowly and stir until smooth and makes a thin, pourable consistency.
- Drizzle over cake. You can double the glaze recipe if you like lots of glaze.
- Spoon the cake into bowls and top with ice cream, if desired.
- I keep an eye on the cake towards the end of the cooking time. If the slow cooker insert is askew and closer to one side of the warming device, it can burn there, check for that and move it away from that side.
- White cake mix, Spice cake mix or even a pumpkin flavored cake mix could work as well.
- Place any remaining into an airtight container and store on the counter in room temperature. You can also place it in the fridge.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.