Make these Slow Cooker Candied Pecans for gifts or serve at your holiday parties.
Have you ever made candied pecans? This recipe makes a full 2 pounds of candied pecans, but none will go to waste. They last about a week in an airtight container and make great gifts. I plan to make another batch in a few weeks and mail them along with my gifts for my family in California.
The recipe starts with egg whites and vanilla extract and is whisked together until very frothy.
Then I add this mixture over the pecans and stir until the pecans are well coated with the egg white mixture
Then I pour over the sugar and spices over the wet pecans.
Then it’s time for the slow cooker to “roast” the nuts. I cook the coated pecans for 3 hours on low, stirring every 20 minutes. Doing this keeps them from burning.
Some recipes call for adding water at the end of the cooking time. I do not do this. I love the way the nuts are at this stage. I think the water is to make them shiny, I think they are perfect as is.
I could not stop eating these candied pecans. Especially when I opened the lid every 20 minutes to stir. I think I may have eaten half of them before they were done. I will be making these again real soon, I need to get another batch in before the holidays are over. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Have a great week.
Slow Cooker Candied Pecans
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. whole pecans
- In a small bowl whisk the egg whites and vanilla until very frothy, this may take a minute or two. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, stir until combined. Set aside.
- Put the pecans in a large bowl, pour over the eggs white and vanilla mixture. Stir until the pecans are evenly coated. Pour over the sugar mixture and stir until the pecans are coated.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray or coat the bottom and edges with a little oil. Add the sugar coated pecans.
- Cover. Set the slow cooker to low temperature. Cook for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, pour the nuts onto a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Cool for 30 minutes before storing or packaging into bags. Enjoy!
You may also like: Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce