Make these Slow Cooker Candied Pecans for gifts or serve at your holiday parties.
Have you ever made candied pecans? This recipe makes a full 2 pounds of candied pecans, but none will go to waste. They last about a week in an airtight container and make great gifts. I plan to make another batch in a few weeks and mail them along with my gifts for my family in California.
How to make candied pecans in the slow cooker:
The recipe starts with egg whites and vanilla extract and is whisked together until very frothy.
Then I add this mixture over the pecans and stir until the pecans are well coated with the egg white mixture
Then I pour over the sugar and spices over the wet pecans.
Then it’s time for the slow cooker to “roast” the nuts. I cook the coated pecans for 3 hours on low, stirring every 20 minutes. Doing this keeps them from burning.
Some recipes call for adding water at the end of the cooking time. I do not do this. I love the way the nuts are at this stage. I think the water is to make them shiny, I think they are perfect as is.
I could not stop eating these candied pecans. Especially when I opened the lid every 20 minutes to stir. I think I may have eaten half of them before they were done.
I will be making these again real soon, I need to get another batch in before the holidays are over. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Have a great week.
How long can I store these:
About a week in an airtight container, if they last that long!
Slow Cooker Candied Pecans
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 1¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. whole pecans
- In a small bowl whisk the egg whites and vanilla until very frothy, this may take a minute or two. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, stir until combined. Set aside.
- Put the pecans in a large bowl, pour over the eggs white and vanilla mixture. Stir until the pecans are evenly coated. Pour over the sugar mixture and stir until the pecans are coated.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray or coat the bottom and edges with a little oil. Add the sugar coated pecans.
- Cover. Set the slow cooker to low temperature. Cook for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, pour the nuts onto a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Cool for 30 minutes before storing or packaging into bags. Enjoy!