Whether you’re looking for a healthy homemade snack or something to easily gift to others, this Slow Cooker Chex Mix idea is one to keep on hand. With the versatility in flavor options, you (and others) are sure to enjoy this snack mix.
Looking for other easy snacks that can be made in the crockpot? Try my delicious Slow Cooker Candied Pecans!
Can I make Chex mix in a crockpot?
Crock pot chex mix is probably one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever try. Since there’s no actual “cooking” involved, you can focus primarily on creating batches of different flavors. These are not only perfect for gift giving but are also one of the most popular recipes for a big game day.
Oh, I should also mention the quick prep time, the ease of making big batches, and the easiest of cooking methods – using the slow cooker! Any get-together is better with a Chex party mix.
- Cereal Blend: Corn Chex cereal, Wheat Chex cereal, and Rice Chex cereal all combine to give a colorful crunch to this slow cooker Chex mix.
- Cracker Blend: Cheez Its and Pretzels add another pop of color and their own cheesy and pretzel flavor.
- Peanuts: A classic Chex mix recipe addition.
- Butter Mixture: Melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and Old Bay seasoning are combined and slowly infused into the Chex mix blend in the slow cooker. Note that this recipe has extra Worcestershire sauce, for that’s really the best flavor in the entire recipe, which some people call “bold chex mix”, though you will think it’s just right.
Step One – In a small bowl, combine melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, granulated garlic, and old bay seasoning. Whisk together until mixed well.
Step Two – Add all the Chex cereals, pretzels, cheez its, and peanuts into the slow cooker.
Step Three – Pour butter mixture over the Chex mix and gently stir.
Step Four – Cook on LOW heat for 3 hours, stirring every 30-45 minutes. Pour onto baking sheets. Cool completely.
- Different cereal mixture mix-ins: Cheerios, Goldfish crackers, oyster crackers, bagel chips, corn nuts, and sesame crackers. You can even use different shapes of pretzels such as pretzel sticks or preztels waffles (snaps).
- Ranch Chex Mix: Make it ranch-flavored by adding in a packet of dried ranch dressing mix.
- Spicy Chex Mix: Add in some heat by adding 1 Tbsp of hot sauce to the butter mixture. Or ¼ tsp cayenne pepper. You can also add onion powder.
Slow Cooker Chex Mix will last up to 2 weeks when stored in an air-tight container at room temperature. We like to put in ziplock bags for easy grab and go.
Yes, you can. Stick with the allotted cooking time and you can’t go wrong!
Yes! The oven directions are simple. Preheat the oven to 250°, place the Chex mix mixture on 2 lined baking sheets, and bake for 1 hour. Stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Chex mix freezes great! Store in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Chex Mix Recipe
- 3 cups wheat Chex cereal
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup mini pretzels
- 1 cup cheez its
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- ⅓ cup salted butter melted
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning (or seasoning salt if you want no spiciness)
- To a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, add all the chex cereals, pretzels, cheez its, and peanuts. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, worcestershire sauce, granulated garlic and old bay seasoning.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the chex mix and gently stir. Cook on LOW heat for 3 hours, stirring every 30-45 minutes.
- Pour the chex snack mix on baking sheets to cool. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Store in airtight containers for up to 1 week in a cool dry storage area.
- Other snack mix options: Cheerios, gold fish, oyster crackers, bagel chips, corn nuts, sesame crackers.
- To make in the oven: Preheat the oven to 250°, place the chex mix mixture on 2 lined baking sheets and bake for 1 hour. Stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.