Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake is the dessert of my dreams. This dessert is made with three chocolaty layers; chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips.
I started this blog six years ago, and this is my first try at lava cake. Truthfully I was worried that it wouldn’t work out as expected and I would be mad, but it turned out perfect.
I am so happy to share this recipe with you. The cake cooks up around the edges, and the center is just like hot chocolate lava.
I’m always looking for more chocolate desserts to try, as you know, I love trying new recipes. Next week I plan to try this Almond Joy Cake from the Country Cook! It looks just as good as this recipe.
How to make Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake:
Start by spraying a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. The oval slow cooker is best for this recipe so the cake will cook evenly.
You will need:
- Chocolate fudge cake mix
- Canola Oil
- Brewed Coffee
- instant chocolate pudding mix
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
I use coffee in place of the water in the cake mix, which made the chocolate look very dark, I loved the coffee in this cake!
How to put together:
- Grease the slow cooker, you will not regret taking the time to do this. Way less sticking if you spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with a non-stick spray such as PAM.
- Start by mixing the cake mix, eggs, oil, and coffee; some lumps are okay. Lumps happen with cake mixes, you for sure don’t want to overmix the batter. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Next, mix the pudding and milk and add on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate chips
I cook this cake for 3 hours on high. It may look raw in the middle, but that is the pudding!
How to serve:
- Serve warm right out the slow cooker.
- Turn off the slow cooker. You don’t want to continue cooking this cake; it will burn even on the warm setting.
- Top with ice cream or whipping cream.
Sliced strawberries are an excellent garnish for any chocolate recipe! Not only pretty but tastes great too.
I already have the items to make this cake again for an upcoming party! It’s that good. I hope you give it a try real soon. Have a great week.
Here are more slow cooker dessert recipes like this one:
- Slow Cooker German Chocolate Spoon Cake
- Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
- Slow Cooker Lemon Spoon Cake
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Spoon Cake
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spoon Cake
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
For the cake layer:
- 15.25 oz. Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup freshly brewed coffee, let cool down a bit, water can be used here instead if desired
For the pudding layer:
- 3.9 oz. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
For the third layer:
- 12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium-sized bowl add the cake mix, eggs, and oil. Start blending with a hand mixer for a few seconds before adding the coffee. Slowly add the coffee and finish blending. Do not over blend, some lumps are fine.
- In another bowl mix the pudding mix and milk until combined. Let thicken for a few minutes.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the cake batter. Then add the pudding by dropping dollops over the cake mix. Spinkle over the chocolate chips.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.