Making a Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake is one way to satisfy a sweet tooth and please a crowd simultaneously. Chocolate chips and a coffee flavored chocolate pudding make the hot fudge center – indeed a slow cooker chocolate cake to try!
Looking for another easy recipe for a potluck, gameday, or just because? My Slow Cooker Butterfinger Cake is a must-try; you will love making new slow cooker desserts! You can even make slow cooker fudge.
What is hot fudge cake?
Anytime you see the words “hot fudge cake,” you can assure that your taste buds are about to sink into a cake batter that has been infused with a fudge sauce that provides both a cake batter texture and a creamy fudgy sauce.
And when it comes to this slow cooker cake recipe, it’s a dessert cuisine you don’t want to pass up! Enjoy this crockpot hot fudge cake! This recipe is very similar to slow cooker lava cake; if you like that, then you will love this cake.
- Chocolate Cake Mix and mix ins: No need to make anything from scratch when you can start with box cake mix. I went with Duncan Hines, but you can choose any brand of chocolate cake mix. You will also need water, eggs and oil to make this layer.
- Chocolate Chips: Semi-sweet chocolate chips are added between a layer of cake batter and a chocolate pudding mix later. You can use dark chocolate chips, though the recipe won’t be as sweet.
- Pudding Mix and Freshly Brewed Coffee: A chocolate pudding mix adds to the chocolate goodness this lava cake-like dessert recipe offers. Instead of mixing the pudding with water, freshly brewed coffee is used instead.
Step One – Add the chocolate cake mix ingredients according to the box instructions in a large bowl.
Step Two – Whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
Step Three – Pour the cake mixture into a prepared slow cooker (sprayed with non stick cooking spray). Spread the batter evenly.
Step Four – Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the cake mix, but do not mix them into the cake batter.
Step Five – Add in the pudding mix and hot coffee in another small bowl.
Step Six – Whisk together the pudding mix and hot coffee until thoroughly combined.
Step Seven – Pour the pudding and coffee mixture over the chocolate chips and cake layer. Do not stir.
Step Eight – Cook on LOW for 3 hours or HIGH for 90 minutes; the cake will be fudgy in the middle from the pudding and chocolate chips. You want it to be fudgie in the middle with a slightly spongy cake layer around the edges.
How to serve
- This crock pot hot fudge cake is always best served with a scoop of ice cream, especially vanilla ice cream. It pairs well with other ice cream flavors such as chocolate, strawberry, and caramel.
- When it comes to the toppings, you can’t go wrong with adding sprinkles, whipped cream, and an extra drizzle of fudge sauce (try it with my homemade hot fudge recipe!)
- You can also get a bit nutty with it by topping it with walnuts, peanuts, and pecans.
Use any of your favorite box cake mixes or even a homemade one. Keep in mind that ingredients may change depending on the brand of box cake mix.
Yes! 2 ½ cups of hot water can be used in place of the coffee.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake
- 15.25 oz. chocolate cake box mix I use Duncan Hines Devil's food cake
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5.9 oz package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 ½ cups strong brewed coffee Hot
- In a bowl, mix the chocolate cake mix according to the box instructions. (The Duncan Hines box mix required 3 large eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil and 1 cup water) Spray a 4 quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and pour the cake mix into the slow cooker pot.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the cake mix. (Do not stir into the cake batter)
- In a bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and hot coffee until completely combined. Pour the pudding mixture over the cake batter/chocolate chips and spread evenly. (Do not stir into the cake batter)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours or HIGH for 90 minutes; the cake will be fudgy in the middle from the pudding and chocolate chips. You want it to be fudgie in the middle with a slightly spongy cake layer around the edges. Check the doneness using a toothpick or wooden skewer.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, enjoy!
- Use any of your favorite box cake mixes or even a homemade one. **ingredients may change depending on the brand of box cake mix (water, oil and eggs for the cake batter step).
- 2 ½ cups of hot water can be used in place of the coffee.
- Store, covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Other toppings, caramel sauce, sprinkles, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, maraschino cherries, walnuts, peanuts, pecans.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.