Put a fun twist on campfire smores with this s’mores cake recipe. You’ll use a box of moist chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff cream topping, and all the fixings of the delicious treat we all like to enjoy.
Why this smores cake recipe works
If you’ve ever wanted to make the perfect cake, but didn’t want to deal with cake pans, cake layers, or making anything from scratch – this is the recipe to try. The most you’ll do is prepare the cake by mixing it in a large bowl before pouring it into the crockpot. From there, you’ll layer on the other ingredients and have a delicious, irresistible cake.
I like to make this cake when I’m hosting a fall party or have been invited to a potluck. This ultimate s’mores cake is definitely a crowd-pleaser and won’t last long. Get ready to share the recipe because everyone will be asking! We love serving this on a holiday along with fireball caramel apple cider.
- Chocolate Cake Mix: All you’ll need is one box of milk chocolate cake mix. I personally like to use Betty Crocker’s super moist kind. My slow cooker hot fudge cake uses the same mix.
- Cake Mix Ingredients: Large eggs, water, and oil will be used to make the cake mix.
- Chocolate Chips: You can use milk chocolate chips or the semi-sweet.
- Cake Topping: You’ll need a jar of marshmallow cream, mini marshmallows, a Hershey’s chocolate bar, and a few graham cracker cookies to make the graham cracker crumbs.
Step One – Add the cake mix, eggs, water, and oil in a medium sized bowl. Mix until blended, don’t over mix, some lumps are fine.
Step Two – Pour in the cake batter into the slow cooker pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
Step Three – Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.
Step Four – Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes. When the cooking time is up, let the cake continue cooking and cooling for 1-2 hours.
Step Five – Let the cake cool completely spread over the marshmallow creme. , if needed microwave the marshmallow creme slightly so it’s spreadable.
Step Six – Crumble over the crushed graham crackers. Add the Hershey pieces and mini marshmallows. Serve by scooping out the cake with a large spoon. Enjoy!
- If you want to give the cake a slightly roasted taste, similar to cooking smores over a campfire, use toasted marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs, toasting until just golden brown.
- Another variation is to use buttercream frosting instead of the marshmallow cream. Other cakes I make that have frosting are slow cooker cherry chip cake or slow cooker carrot cake.
- If you want to get fancy, create a marshmallow filling for even more of a smores taste.
- Consider serving this cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a shake or two of powdered sugar on top of the cake.
- If you really enjoy graham crackers, consider making a graham cracker crust layer along the bottom and sides of the cake.
Yes. Just be sure to not overmix.
If you prefer, yes. Parchment paper or foil will work well
If you are using the slow cooker, no. However, you can use round cake pans, divide batter evenly, and pour it into the prepared pans. Cook them, allow them to cool, and then put a cream filling between the layers. Decorate the final cake layer with the smores toppings.
Chocolate buttercream (or vanilla) frosting would taste delicious as well as a homemade powdered sugar glaze.
Absolutely! If you prefer a homemade cake, you’ll just need cake flour, cocoa powder, soda baking powder, eggs, and melted butter. Or, use one of your favorite cake recipes.
Make sure it cools to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. It can be kept on the counter for up to a week (although it may not last that long).
More Slow Cooker Desserts
- Slow Cooker Christmas Candy
- Slow Cooker Key Lime Cake
- Slow Cooker Cherry Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Blackberry Cobbler
Slow Cooker Smores Cake
For the cake:
- 15.25 oz. milk chocolate cake mix (I use Betty crocker)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
For the cake topping:
- 8 oz. jar marshmallow creme
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 Hershey's bar
- 3 graham cracker cookies
- In a medium sized bowl add the cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Mix until blended, don't over mix, some lumps are fine.
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray. Pour in the cake batter.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate chips over the batter.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, let the cake cool for 1-2 hours. (take lid off).
- When the cake is cool, spread over the marshmallow creme, if needed microwave the marshmallow creme slightly so it's spreadable.
- Crumble over the graham crackers and add the hershey pieces, and mini marshmallows.
- Serve by scooping out the cake with a large spoon. Enjoy!
How to Video:
- Make sure it cools to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. It can be kept on the counter for up to a week (although it may not last that long).
- A tub of vanilla buttercream frosting can be used instead of marshmallow creme.
- Not a huge chocolate fan? Use a vanilla cake mix.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.