All you need to make this easy slow cooker cherry dump cake is a few ingredients! Cake mix, butter, cherries, and white chocolate chips come together for an easy dessert everyone is sure to love.
What is a dump cake?
Dump cakes are known for being just that – a cake that is dumped into a baking dish (or slow cooker) and cooked into a delicious and amazing dessert (that’s quite irresistible if you ask me). Most dump cake recipes call for similar ingredients, all being pantry staples. The best part – no stirring is necessary!
The cake mix is the most important part; what you decide to add next adds the bang to your dessert. We’re adding cans of cherry pie filling for this crockpot dump cake, but you can add just about any canned fruit you choose. This is a slow cooker dessert that makes whipping up your dump cake easy peasy.
- Cake Mix: For this recipe, I used a box cake mix – Betty Crocker Super Moist yellow cake mix. Since you won’t be preparing the cake according to the box instructions, the built-in moistness of this particular brand helps make the dessert taste perfect.
- Cherry Pie Filling: Two 20-ounce cans of cherry pie filling adds the perfect amount of cherries and guarantee enough per serving.
- Salted Butter: This will be melted and poured over the top to help with creating the light brown topping finish.
- White Chocolate Chips: One of the other highlights of this recipe is the chocolate chip finish on top. It adds the right amount of sweetness without being too overbearing.
Step One – Spread the canned pie filling onto the bottom of a crockpot that has been prepped with nonstick cooking spray.
Step Two – Sprinkle the entire box of yellow cake mix on top of the pie filling (do not stir, but you can spread the cake mix out).
Step Three – Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix and sprinkle 1 cup of white chocolate chips over the butter (again, do NOT stir).
Step Four – Place the lid onto the slow cooker and cook for 2.5 hours or until the center is set. Serve warm with the serving suggestions below. Enjoy!
How to serve:
- A (generous) scoop of cherry dump cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is one the best ways to serve this amazing dessert.
- You can also get creative with the toppings by adding whipped cream, extra cherries, crushed pecans, or even a dash of ground cinnamon.
- Don’t hesitate to serve this dessert as-is too.
Yes! A chocolate cake mix works great with this recipe.
Cherry filling, pumpkin, peach, blackberry, you name the filling, and it could be a dump cake.
Yes! Either of these substitutions will work and you can even use a sugar-free or low sugar pie filling.
The easiest fix for this is adding a clean kitchen towel or a couple of paper towels between the lid and the slow cooker. This will collect any condensation.
Definitely the KEEP WARM setting so it doesn’t continue to cook and possibly burn.
Add any remaining cherry dump cake to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can reheat them over medium-low heat until warmed throughout or enjoy it cold.
Slow Cooker Cherry Dump Cake
- 42 oz. can cherry pie filling (two -21 oz. cans)
- 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- ½ cup salted butter (1 stick) melted
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Spread cherry pie filling on bottom of slow cooker.
- Next sprinkle entire box of yellow cake mix on top of filling.
- Drizzle melted butter over cake mix.
- Sprinkle the white chocolate chips (1 cup) over the butter.
- Put the lid on, and cook for 2 1/2 hours on HIGH or until the center is set.
- Set slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- A chocolate cake mix works great with this recipe.
- Add any remaining cherry dump cake to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can reheat them over medium-low heat until warmed throughout or enjoy it cold.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.