I received a box of Puro coffee to review, and I’m so delighted! I decided I must have a dessert to go with the coffee, so I made Slow Cooker Caramel Flan!
Puro Coffee sent these 3 coffees for me to review:
Puro Fuerte – Fragrant Dark Roast with a touch of spice and full body. When I usually think of dark roast, I think bitter, not this dark roast! Nice and strong, but not bitter.
Puro Bio-Organic – Medium Roast, combining soft notes of sweet chocolate, with tangy citrus. This was my favorite, a little sweet, and I could taste the citrus.
Puro Noble – Rich and lively Medium Roast with hints of fruit and hazelnut. This was my husband’s favorite, really smooth, great black or with cream and sugar.
I drink my coffee black, and every blend I tried was fantastic! I started drinking my coffee black a few years ago for health reasons, and I couldn’t bare to drink those chemical low-fat creamers another day!
Here is the link to order: Order Puro Coffee
Now for the Slow Cooker Carmel Flan. This Flan turned out outstanding! I usually eat a dessert only once after making it, and my husband will eat the rest, but I somehow ate 4 out of the 5 flans this recipes makes! It was really that good. If you have made flan before, and made the caramel sauce from scratch, I think you’ll pleased how easy this recipe is. I used a jarred Smucker’s Caramel Sauce, and it tasted really good, didn’t taste jarred in this recipe at all!
I bought the 6 ounce ramekins from World Market, I only filled them up to the inner lip, so the flan would come out easier. 5 ramekins worked just right for this recipe.
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 14 ounces 2% or whole milk measured in above can
- 3 eggs
- Caramel Sauce- 5 tablespoons about half of 12.25 ounce jar of Smucker's Caramel Topping
- Ramekins- I used 5 six ounce ramekins from World Market, I only filled them up to the inner lip of the ramekin.
- Whipped Cream for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk, the regular milk, and eggs with a whisk until smooth. Keep whisking until you can not feel the heaviness of the sweetened condensed milk on the bottom of the bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of the Caramel Sauce to each ramekin, swirl around with a back of a spoon, to coat all sides.
- Add the milk mixture to the ramekins, I only filled them up to the inner lip, so it would be easier to remove later.
- Add about a half inch of water to the slow cooker.
- Add the ramekins, I had to stack the fifth ramekin on top, and it worked just fine.
- Cover, and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, this is when I check on the flans. The flans are ready when they begin to puff slightly. Mine puffed at 2 hours 15 minutes.
- Remove the flans carefully with a pot holder . Put the flans of a wire rack to cool in the fridge for 3 or more hours.
- After the flans cool completely, take a knife and swirl around the edge of the ramekin, and flip over on a little plate.
- Serve with a squirt of whipped cream. The spray can of whipped cream is actually really good on these, this is what restaurants do.