There are only three ingredients in this delicious Slow Cooker Apple Dump Cake – yellow cake mix, apple pie filling, and butter. That’s it! Get ready to whip up this delicious dessert in less than 3 hours from start to finish. It’s sure to become one of your favorite apple desserts!
Why you should try this apple dump cake recipe
Besides this being an incredibly easy dessert to make, it is one that’s quick to be added to other family favorite recipes. It’s also very versatile, meaning you can add other ingredients to it to give it a twist in texture and flavor.
I make apple dump cake and serve it with a variety of toppings and sides to pair it with (think vanilla ice cream). If you’re looking for the perfect dessert for a potluck, family gathering, or special holiday – this apple dump cake recipe is one to try!
- Dry Cake Mix: I use the moist supreme premium yellow cake mix, but you can use different flavors if you want (see my FAQs for ideas).
- Apple Pie Filling: You’ll need 2 cans of filling for this recipe. Ensure you get actual pie filling, not a puree or sauce form.
- Butter: This will be cut into small squares and placed on top just before turning on the crock pot. It helps create a moist cake in addition to a crumble-like topping.
Step One – Add the apple pie filling into the bottom of a slow cooker pot that has been sprayed with cooking spray and spread out.
Step Two – Pour over and spread out the cake mix evenly with your hands.
Step Three – Add the cubed butter evenly over the cake mix.
Step Four – Cover and cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours. Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve
- Enjoy a nice helping of this apple dump cake with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a dollop of cool whip on top.
- Consider adding chopped nuts like crushed walnuts and chopped pecans for a more crunchy topping.
- It’s also easy to turn this into a caramel apple dump cake by adding a drizzle of caramel sauce or syrup on top.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
Spice, white, and carrot cake mix would make great substitutions for the yellow cake mix.
Of course, this is meant to be an apple version of dump cake, but you can always play around with variations by using cherry pie filling.
Sure! Most homemade apple pie fillings are made with fresh apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, water, and butter.
Place any leftover dump cake in an airtight container. You can store it in the fridge or keep it out on the countertop. It tastes good chilled, at room temperature, or warmed up.
Not necessarily. It depends on your personal preference. I don’t recommend trying to eat it piping hot, but if you’re adding toppings like ice cream, I’d let it cool just a bit so it doesn’t melt.
Yes. Simply turn the crockpot off once the cake has finished cooking. It will stay warm for quite some time.
Slow Cooker Apple Dump Cake
- 44 oz. apple pie filling (two 22-oz. cans)
- 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter 1 stick
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Add the apple pie filling and spread out.
- Pour over the cake mix and spread out with hands.
- Add the cubed butter evenly over the cake mix.
- Cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours.
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy.
- Spice, white, and carrot cake mix would make great substitutions for the yellow cake mix.
- Of course, this is meant to be an apple version of dump cake, but you can always play around with variations by using cherry pie filling, blueberry or peach.
- Place any leftover dump cake in an airtight container. You can store it in the fridge or keep it out on the countertop. It tastes good chilled, at room temperature, or warmed up.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.