Slow Cooker Coconut Pineapple Spoon Cake is heaven in a bowl. All the tropical flavors in one dessert here!
This cake such a great flavor combination. Have you ever had pineapple fluff? It’s a mixture of pineapple, coconut, marshmallows and whipped cream. Well, that is what this cake tastes like to me!
How to make Pineapple Coconut Spoon Cake:
To make this cake and glaze you will need a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple. Read the directions carefully below in my recipe and don’t throw away any of the pineapple or juices. Part of the pineapple and juices go into the sweet buttery glaze that gets put on the cake at the end of the cooking time.
For the cake:
- Cake Mix – I use Pillsbury Yellow Cake Mix
- Crushed Pineapple – Makes the cake extra moist and I save the juices for the glaze
- Salted Butter – I learned this trick from Paula Dean to use butter in place of oil in cake mix recipes, this is life-changing!
- Coconut – No need to toast this, just toss it in.
- Pecans – Adding these add texture to the cake
For the glaze:
The glaze is a warm buttery topping made from powdered sugar, pineapple juice, melted butter, coconut, and pecans. It soaks into the cake and is drool-worthy.
You can’t tell from the pictures, but this cake sets up very well. The glaze makes it look like it hasn’t but rest assured there is cake texture under all that glaze. You can watch the video to see what the cake looks like inside.
Can I take this out of the slow cooker in one piece and put on a platter?
This cake is too gooey to be taken out of the slow cooker unless it was refrigerated. I recommend serving this warm right out of the slow cooker.
Can I make this in the oven instead?
Yes! Bake as directed on the box for the size of the cake pan you are using. Add the glaze on top of the cake when the cake is hot out of the oven.
My other favorite warm Dessert Recipes:
- Slow Cooker White Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Gluten Free Cranberry Peach Cobbler
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Lave Cake
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Slow Cooker Candy Bar Fondue
- Slow Cooker Crustless Pumpkin Pie
Slow Cooker Pineapple Coconut Spoon Cake
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
For the cake
- 15¼ oz yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup butter (1 stick); melted
- 20 oz crushed pineapple divided; 1 cup drained; save all the juices and remaining pineapple for the glaze
- 1 cup coconut
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
For the glaze:
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- reserved crush pineapple measures out to be about a cup
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup coconut
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- Add the cake ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until the batter just comes together, do not over mix, some little lumps of cake mix are fine.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray and add the batter to the slow cooker. Smooth out the batter with a spatula.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, keep the lid on THE ENTIRE TIME.
- When the cooking time is done, turn off the slow cooker.
- Add the powdered sugar, remaining pineapple, melted butter, coconut and chopped pecans to a bowl.
- Whisk until a sauce forms.
- Pour this mixture over the warm cake.
- Let the cake sit for 5 minutes with the glaze on top, covered.
- Spoon out servings into bowls and serve with whipped cream if desired.