If you’ve never had a Cherry Chip Cake, then you are in for a real treat. Made with just a few basic ingredients, including homemade icing made from flavorful maraschino cherry juice and powdered sugar, this is a lovely pink cake you’ll want to share with everyone.
Why this cherry chip cake recipe works
I don’t know many people who don’t enjoy a nice piece of cake, but I do know several people who would love to master the art of making a good cake. And with this recipe, you can do just that. Nothing gets much easier than taking a box of cake mix, mixing it according to the directions, then adding in delicious maraschino cherries.
And if that wasn’t easy enough, making the icing is even easier. The juice from the can of cherries gives it enough cherry flavor that’s not overwhelming at all plus add that cute pink color. This is one of those homemade cake recipes you’ll want to add to your recipe book. Keep reading to see just how easy it is to whip up your own perfect cake. Here is my oven version if you don’t have a slow cooker: Cherry Chip Cake.
- White Cake Mix: I personally like to use the Pillsbury brand (moist and supreme) boxed cake mix, however, you can use whatever brand you prefer.
- Cake Batter: For the batter, you’ll use 3 large eggs, water, and oil.
- Maraschino Cherries: This recipe calls for two jars which will be divided. The cherries you’ll add to the cake batter can be finely chopped maraschino cherries. The ones that go on top of the icing can be left whole.
- Homemade Cake Icing: Powdered sugar, salted butter, milk, and cherry juice are whipped together to create a sweet cherry flavor icing. Thanks to the cherry juice, red food coloring is not necessary.
Step One – In a large bowl, combine the box of cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined well. Then add in chopped maraschino cherries.
Step Two – Fold in the cherries until they are mixed into the batter.
Step Three – Pour cake batter evenly into the bottom of a crock pot that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Step Four – Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes, without lifting the top at all.
Step Five – In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, room temperature butter, milk, and cherry juice. I do this with a hand held mixer.
Step Six – Spread the homemade cherry icing on top of the cake.
Step Seven – Decorate the top of the cake with whole cherries. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe FAQs and Variations
Sure. Besides white cake mix, yellow cake mix is the next most popular choice. You can use cherry chip cake mix if that is what you have on hand.
Although this comes with an extremely easy frosting recipe, you can skip the homemade version and use a buttercream frosting from a tub.
It can; however, keep in mind that the cake will be the shape of the slow cooker, so it won’t be round, but oblong (or oval).
I personally opt in for cooking spray but you can use parchment paper, which will make transferring it to a plate or cake stand much easier.
Not necessarily, but it would help bring it to an actual icing texture. If you use one, use it one medium speed.
Place any remaining cake into an airtight container and keep it at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for even longer. We like this cake cold from the fridge!
You can’t go wrong with serving vanilla ice cream, cherry flavored ice cream, or fresh fruit on the side.
Slow Cooker Cherry Chip Cake
For the cake
- 15.25 oz. white cake mix (I use Pillsbury Brand)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 20 oz. maraschino cherries (two jars) divided
For the frosting
- ½ cup salted butter room temperature
- 16 oz. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maraschino cherry juice (from above jar) (you will need some cherries for the cake, some of juices for the frosting and more cherries for decorating)
- 4-6 Tbsp. milk
- Chop about 20 of the cherries on a cutting board. You'll want them in a rough chop, you can use as much cherries as you want. I save the remaining cherries (and some juice) for decorating the cake.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, oil, eggs and water. Mix until the batter is smooth, some lumps are fine (that's normal for cake mix). Stir in the cherries.
- For the cake:
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Pour in the cherry cake batter.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until the center is done. You'll want to keep the lid on until the 2 hour and 15 minute mark to keep the heat in. Remove the slow cooker insert from the heating element and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for at least two hours before frosting.
- For the frosting:
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, room temperature butter, milk (only add enough milk to make the consistency of frosting you want), and cherry juice.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and add additional cherries for decoration if desired.
How to Video:
- Place any remaining cake into an airtight container and keep it at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for even longer. We like this cake cold from the fridge!
- Yellow cake mix or cherry chip cake mix can be used instead of white cake mix.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.