Seven ingredients are all you need to make this tasty Slow Cooker Key Lime Cake. It’s made with a fresh lime flavor, powdered sugar, vanilla cake mix, and a few other ingredients for a lime cake everyone is sure to enjoy.
If you want to experiment with lime flavor in another type of dish, try my Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken. This recipe is a fresh take on chicken breasts by adding fresh cilantro and limes!
Why this key lime cake recipe works
Key lime cake can be cooked in many different ways – from scratch, with cake layers, infused with green food coloring, and the like. This particular recipe helps you make an easy key lime cake without having to do anything from scratch. You won’t need many ingredients, and prep is very minimal.
If you never thought you could make key lime cake – think again! If you love key lime pie, then you must make this recipe.
- Cake Mix: French vanilla cake mix adds a subtle vanilla flavor and is perfect for making an easy lime cake recipe.
- Yogurt: Key lime yogurt helps to add more key lime flavor effortlessly.
- Limes: Lime zest and fresh lime juice are both used to further the flavor and taste of this lime cake recipe.
- Other Cake Ingredients: Powdered sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs top off the remaining ingredients needed in this key lime cake recipe.
- Icing Ingredients: Powdered sugar, butter, lime juice, and lime zest make the best frosting for this cake!
Step One – Add the cake mix, eggs, oil, yogurt, lime juice, and zest in a large mixing bowl.
Step Two – Mix the cake batter until smooth (don’t over-mix).
Step Three – Smooth the cake mix into an even layer in a prepared crock pot (sprayed with nonstick spray).
Step Four – Cover and Cook on HIGH for 1 hour 45 minutes.
Step Five – Add the powdered sugar and melted butter to a medium mixing bowl.
Step Six – Add the lime zest and key lime juice of two limes into the bowl. Stir while adding the juice to create the key lime glaze topping.
Step Seven – Pour the glaze over the cake and spread it out with the back of a spoon.
Step Eight – Add a fresh lime garnish and serve. Enjoy!
How to serve
- This cake is absolutely delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Other toppings that pair well with key limes are shaved coconut, blueberries, and raspberries. Grab these fruits and sprinkle them on top of individual pieces.
- Key lime cake can also be served warm (fresh out of the slow cooker), or you can allow it to cool completely.
While nothing can completely replace the zing of lime, you can use lemons and have a lemon flavored cake instead of lime flavored.
Yes. You can use a yellow cake mix, white cake mix, lemon cake mix, or even a key lime cake mix.
You can use a cream cheese frosting or whipped topping. Another topping idea is to use powdered sugar with added lime zest.
Any leftovers will need to be placed into an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to a week. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
Besides adding a drop of green food coloring, you can also use lime jello mix.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Key Lime Cake
For the cake:
- 15.25 oz. French vanilla cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup key lime flavored greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
- 2 small limes
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 small limes
- In a medium sized bowl add the cake mix. Next add the eggs, oil, and yogurt. Zest the limes into the bowl, then squeeze the juice from the limes into the bowl. Mix until smooth, but don't over mix.
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray and add the batter. Smooth the batter into an even layer.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- The cake will be done with the center is no longer jiggly.
- Take the ceramic insert out of the heating element and place on a cooling rack. Let the cake cool in the crockware for at least 2 hours before making the glaze.
For the glaze
- Add the powdered sugar into a medium sized bowl. Add the melted butter.
- Zest the 2 limes into the bowl, then squeeze the lime juice out of the limes into the bowl. Stir the glaze while you are adding the lime juice; only add enough lime juice to make the glaze into the consistency you want, about 2-3 tablespoons total. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread it out with the back of a spoon. Serve and enjoy!
- Want a different icing? You can use a cream cheese frosting or whipped topping. Another topping idea is to use powdered sugar with added lime zest.
- You can completely change the recipe by using lemons, and lemon yogurt!
- Any leftovers will need to be placed into an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to a week. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
- If you want a green cake just add a few drops of green food coloring to the batter.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
This cake sounds amazing. Key Lime Pie is my daughter’s favorite dessert! Since my crockpot recently died, would you have any idea how long to bake this in oven? I am guessing a 13x9x2 pan at 350 about 30 minutes or so?
Sarah Olson says
Yes! That sounds persecuted. Or whatever the box says.