Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is one of the best soups to make in the slow cooker!
Baked Potato Soup is my all time favorite, I order it at every restaurant when it is available. You can’t beat how creamy this soup is, and how great the toppings blend in. You will see in this recipe I am not actually baking the potatoes, just peeling and dicing raw potatoes. I’ve made baked potato soup before with leftover baked potatoes and it can tend to be gluey.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup, has a bit of prep work, but it is really worth the time. You can peel and dice your potatoes the night before, just place them in water, and refrigerate. Drain off the water before starting the recipe.
How to make Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup:
- Peel and dice the potatoes, add them to the slow cooker. Pour over chicken broth and add diced onion, whole garlic, and black pepper. I like to keep the garlic whole in this recipe. It keeps it from getting pungent.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. When the cooking time is up add the soup into a blender and pulse along with the cream cheese, you may have to do this in batches. Alternatively, if you have an immersion you can add the cream cheese to the slow cooker and blend right in the slow cooker.
What do I top the soup with?
Serve this soup buffet style because not every guest will like all the toppings. Serve these toppings as a choice along with the soup:
- Sour cream
- Green onions or chives
- Cooked and crumbled bacon (or store bought bacon bits if you are short on time).
- Shredded cheddar cheese
More baked potato inspired recipe you will love!
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Pizza
- Loaded Potato Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 whole garlic cloves (keep them whole) or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 7 Cups Chicken broth
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 16 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese (2 blocks total)
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onion
- Cooked Bacon crumbled
Slow Cooker Size;
- 6 Quart or larger
- Peel, and dice your potatoes in a small dice. Add potatoes, garlic, onion, black pepper and chicken broth to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- You are now going to blend about 2/3's of the soup with the cream cheese in your blender, you may need to do this in batches. Or use an immersion blender right in your slow cooker.
- Season the soup with salt to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings.