Easy slow cooker chicken and dumplings, made with canned biscuits and cream soups.
A long time ago, I would make chicken and dumplings on the stove top, it always turned out great. But who likes to slave over a hot stove all night? And now since I work full-time, and have a toddler, I just can’t do that anymore.
So, I was ecstatic when this recipe for slow cooker chicken and dumplings turned out fantastic. This recipe has very little prep work, and no mixing for the dumplings! I use a can of Pillsbury biscuits for the dumplings. The biscuits work very well as the dumplings, you’ll have to take my word for this!
More chicken soup recipes for the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1½ lbs. chicken breasts
- 10¾ oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 10¾ oz. can cream of celery soup
- 10¾ oz. can filled with water
- 14½ oz. can chicken broth
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 white onion diced
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas optional
- 16.3 oz. Pillsbury Grand Biscuits 8 biscuit sized can note- I only use 7 of these biscuits
- more thyme for the top of biscuits
- Put the cream of chicken, cream of celery, a soup size can of water, and chicken broth in your slow cooker.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken breasts, carrots, onions, thyme, and black pepper to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the 8 hours is up, shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker.
- Add peas at this point if you would like. Stir.
- Add 7 biscuits to the top of the soup.
- Sprinkle dumplings with thyme. Replace the lid.
- Turn your slow cooker to HIGH.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 40 minutes to 1 hour. You will know the dumplings are done when they are no longer shiny.