My family loves this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings. And I love how easy it is to make!
A long time ago, I would make chicken and dumplings on the stove top, it always turned out great. But who likes to slave over a hot stove all night? And now since I work full-time, and have a toddler, I just can’t do that anymore.
So, I was ecstatic when this recipe for slow cooker chicken and dumplings turned out fantastic. This recipe has very little prep work, and no mixing for the dumplings! I use a can of Pillsbury biscuits for the dumplings. The biscuits work very well as the dumplings, you’ll have to take my word for this!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 10¾ ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10¾ ounce can cream of celery soup
- 1 10¾ ounce can filled with water
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 4 carrots sliced or diced
- 1 white onion diced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Pillsbury Grand Biscuits (8 biscuit sized can) note- I only use 7 of these biscuits
- more thyme for the top of biscuits
- Put the cream of chicken, cream of celery, a soup size can of water, and chicken broth in your slow cooker.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken breasts, carrots, onions, thyme, and black pepper to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the 8 hours is up, shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker.
- Add peas at this point if you would like. Stir.
- Add 7 biscuits to the top of the soup.
- Sprinkle dumplings with thyme.
- Turn your slow cooker to HIGH.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 40 minutes to 1 hour. You will know the dumplings are done when they are no longer shiny.