This is the best Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle soup, just like grandma used to make!
This is a great all-day cooking recipe that is great to come home to.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup:
- Start by adding chicken breasts, veggies, bay leaves, spices and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Add chicken broth and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When the cooking time is done, cook the noodles on the stovetop as the package directs.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the soup in the slow cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I use chicken thighs?
- Chicken thighs work great in this recipe, use the same amount as you would chicken breasts.
- I like to trim the large pieces of fat from the chicken thighs to prevent the soup from getting greasy.
Would precooked chicken such as a rotisserie chicken work in this recipe?
- You can use cooked chicken in this recipe but keep in mind you will lose some flavor as ra
wchicken will add more flavor to the broth.
- Add 2-3 cups of cooked chicken instead of raw chicken if desired.
Can I put uncooked noodles in slow cooker chicken noodle soup?
- For the best results do not add uncooked noodles to the slow cooker. The slow cooker does not get hot enough fast enough.
- Cook the noodles on the stove-top to al-dente, drain and then add to the soup in the slow cooker towards the end of the cooking time.
- Using this method will give you a better texture of pasta
What can I do if my soup thickens too much?
- Add water or chicken broth if this soup thickens.
- I often have to add more broth to the leftovers as the noodles soak up the moisture.
Can I freeze this?
Yes! This chicken noodle soup freezes very well. I often give the extras of this to neighbors and my mom so they can stock their freezers and can have soup at any time.
- Let cool off before adding to containers.
- Place in plastic containers with a
tight fittinglid. Leave an inch of room at the top for expansion.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw, place in fridge 24 hours before needing.
- Heat in microwave in the plastic container or on the stove top in a pan.
You may like these other soups here on The Magical Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker French Dip Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Slow Cooker Curried Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey and Brown Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (thighs work great too!)
- 8 cups Chicken Broth (or stock)
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles broken up (see directions how to cook)
- Add the chicken, carrots, onion and celery to the slow cooker. Add the salt, pepper, thyme and pour over the chicken broth. Stir.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- After the 8 hours are up, cook the noodles on the stove top according to their package directions.
- Shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker.
- Drain the noodles well and add to the soup in the slow cooker. Stir and serve!