Hi all! I’ve decided that I really enjoy themes here on the blog after the Vintage Slow Cooker Recipe of the Month went over so well. I am now going to do a Freezer Slow Cooker Meal of the Month as well. My first recipe is Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup.
If you have tried freezer meals for the slow cooker, you may know that they don’t all turn out well. That’s why I am going to dedicate one of my recipes a month to a tested freezer meal. Meaning I am going to freeze a slow cooker recipe before I cook it, then a few weeks later thaw, and cook it. I’ve seen many freezer meal marathon posts on the internet, most don’t tell how the meal tastes weeks later. That’s what I am interested in. I don’t care if a freezer meal saves time, if it tastes like garbage after it has been in the freezer. I’d rather eat tuna helper. Anyway on with the recipe.
All that is needed to get this meal on the table after it cooks is a little cheese, and tortilla chips. How easy would that be after work?!
The two photos below are what the meal looks like 3 weeks after being frozen, then thawed and cooked on low for 8 hours.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 TBSP. minced jalapeno more if you can handle extreme heat
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 8.75 oz. can corn, drained
- 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 10.75 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- Shredded Cheese cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Tortilla Chips
Cooking Instructions: (follow freezer meal instructions before cooking if you want to freeze)
- Place everything into a 6-quart slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Freezer Meal Preparations: (this recipe makes 1 freezer bag):
- Write the name of the meal, date and cooking time on the very bottom edge of the a gallon size Ziplock bag. Place the ziplock bag into a tall large container, fold down the lip of the bag so the zip part won't get food all over it. Add the ingredients into to the bag in the order shown. Pull the bag out of the container and squeeze all the air out before sealing. Place flat in the freezer. Freeze for no longer than a month for best results.
To prepare after being frozen:
- Place the freezer bag in the fridge to thaw 24-48 hours before you are ready to cook.
- Cook according to directions above.
How to Video:
Freezer Meal Photos (I made 2 meals):
Write on the bag BEFORE you fill it or it will look like mine below. 🙂