One main ingredient – dry onion soup mix – turns traditional meatloaf with a simple recipe into mouth-watering Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meatloaf. Take the guesswork out of what you’re cooking for dinner and have a go at whipping up something the whole family will enjoy.
Why this lipton meatloaf recipe works
Meatloaf is often considered one of those dreaded meals to make primarily because there can be many ingredients. But what if I told you that you don’t have to include all the vegetables and the work? With this simplified recipe, you’ll use the base ingredients plus a pack of onion soup mix to whip up a meatloaf that will leave everyone wanting more.
It could also easily be added to should you find yourself wanting a heartier piece of meat. This is by far one of my favorite meatloaf recipes, and I think you’ll love it as well.
- Ground Beef: You’ll want to use at least 2 pounds of beef for this recipe. I like to use 12% from Costco.
- Bread Crumbs: These are the easiest ingredient to use to help with keeping the loaf together.
- Eggs: Another ingredient that helps with the molding and creating a moist meatloaf.
- Milk: Milk not only soaks the breadcrumbs but also adds moisture to the meatloaf.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix: This is the hidden flavor gem of the dish. This mixture is a combination of dry onion flakes, beef bullion granules, onion powder, parsley, celery seed, paprika, and black pepper.
- Ketchup: What’s a good meatloaf without ketchup? Not only is this included in every classic recipe but also helps with creating a flavorful meatloaf.
Step One – In a medium-sized bowl add the eggs, milk, ketchup, breadcrumbs, and dry soup mix packet. Mix all of the ingredients with a spoon until well combined.
Step Two – Add the ground beef and wet egg mixture in another bowl. With clean hands, mix both until just combined. Try not to over-mix it.
Step Three – Shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place it in an oval crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
Step Four – Once cooking is done, spoon and ladle out the fat surrounding the meatloaf. Then, cut the loaf into slices (be careful not to scratch your slow cooker during the cutting process). Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
How to serve:
- Meatloaf has long been served with popular sides such as green beans, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, cole slaw, macaroni and cheese, and/or turnip greens.
- This meatloaf is also great for making meatloaf sandwiches or placed on a bed of mashed potatoes and drizzled with brown gravy for an open-face meatloaf dinner.
- You’ll also want to serve your meatloaf with bread like dinner rolls, cornbread, or Hawaiin sweet rolls.
In addition to the milk and ketchup, the fat content of your ground beef can help. In short, the leaner the meat, the dryer the meatloaf. If you choose a meatloaf with a higher-fat cut, you should yield a moister meatloaf. This isn’t a recipe you’ll want to use lean ground beef with.
Some of the most commonly used ingredients are onions, green peppers/bell peppers, and herbs. You can never go wrong with adding veggies.
You can add brown sugar, barbecue sauce, or a meatloaf glaze (ketchup topping).
Of course! Any ground meat can work. Some people like to add ground pork, ground turkey, or even ground chicken.
Easily store any remaining meatloaf in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want to cover it for the day, you can keep it in the slow cooker or move it to a serving platter and cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
If wanting to freeze this, follow freezer instructions BEFORE cooking.
Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meatloaf
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 oz. packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 lbs. ground beef I used 12% fat from Costco
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the eggs, milk, ketchup, breadcrumbs and dry soup mix packet with a spoon. Using clean hands add the beef and combine the wet egg mixture with the beef until just combined, don’t over mix it.
- Shape into a loaf shape in an oval slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Take a spoon and ladle out and discard the fat that is surrounding the meat loaf. Cut the meatloaf into slices being careful not to scratch the slow cooker with the knife.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
- Write the date and cooking instructions on a zip lock bag. Mix loaf as directed above. Place the meat loaf mixture into a zip lock bag that has been set into a reusable foil pan. The pan is just to keep the meat in to a loaf shape while freezing. Squeeze all the air out of the bag. Place the meat loaf in the freezer (leave it in the tin). Freeze for up to a month.
To cook after being frozen:
- Place the frozen meat loaf (still in the tin) in the refrigerator to thaw. About 36 hours is the perfect amount of time to thaw. Flip the meat loaf into the slow cooker, if you are careful it should stay in the correct shape. Cook as directed above.
- Easily store any remaining meatloaf in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want to cover it for the day, you can keep it in the slow cooker or move it to a serving platter and cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Any ground meat can work. Some people like to add ground pork, ground turkey, or even ground chicken.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Recipe Adapted from: Food.com
Do you need more ground beef recipes? Here’s a few more for you to try:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker Land Your Man Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat Loaf Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash