Are you a meatloaf fan? I’m guessing you are if you clicked a link to get here! This Slow Cooker Onion Soup Mix Meat Loaf is a new recipe for me. I have always used my mom’s recipe for meat loaf. I wanted to try this onion soup mix meat loaf out for a freezer meal, it sounded easy to throw together.
While this meat loaf cooks it has a heavenly beefy onion scent to it, which comes from the onion soup mix. Unlike my mom’s recipe which smells to me like bell peppers while it cooks (both good smells!).
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (1.0-oz) packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 lbs. ground beef (I used 12% fat from Costco)
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the eggs, milk, ketchup, breadcrumbs and dry soup mix packet with a spoon. Using clean hands add the beef and combine the wet egg mixture with the beef until just combined, don't over mix it.
- Shape into a loaf shape in an oval slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Take a spoon and ladle out and discard the fat that is surrounding the meat loaf. Cut the meatloaf into slices being careful not to scratch the slow cooker with the knife.
- Write the date and cooking instructions on a zip lock bag. Mix loaf as directed above. Place the meat loaf mixture into a zip lock bag that has been set into a reusable foil pan. The pan is just to keep the meat in to a loaf shape while freezing. Squeeze all the air out of the bag. Place the meat loaf in the freezer (leave it in the tin). Freeze for up to a month.
- Place the frozen meat loaf (still in the tin) in the refrigerator to thaw. About 36 hours is the perfect amount of time to thaw. Flip the meat loaf into the slow cooker, if you are careful it should stay in the correct shape. Cook as directed above.
Recipe Adapted from: Food.com
Freezer Meal Photos:
Below I added the meat into a ziplock bag while it is resting in an aluminum loaf pan. This helps keep the loaf shape while it freezes. And I can reuse these loaf pans next time I make these meat loafs.
Label them with the date and cooking instructions.
I freeze these meat loafs for up to a month. I thaw one in the fridge for about 36 hours, then I flip it over into the slow cooker, I can actually do this without touching the meat! Such an dinner once you get these prepped for the month.
I hope you enjoyed this second edition of Freezer Meal of the Month. I sure am having fun making these handy meals! See you next week with another delicious slow cooker recipe!