Slow Cooker Onion Soup Mix Meatloaf if full of flavor and so easy to throw together.
Are you a meatloaf fan? I’m guessing you are if you clicked a link to get here! This Slow Cooker Onion Soup Mix Meat Loaf is a new recipe for me. I have always used my mom’s recipe for meatloaf. I wanted to try this onion soup mix meatloaf out for a freezer meal, it sounded easy to throw together.
While this meatloaf cooks it has a heavenly beefy onion scent to it, which comes from the onion soup mix. Unlike my mom’s recipe which smells to me like bell peppers while it cooks (both good smells!).
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 oz. packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 lbs. ground beef I used 12% fat from Costco
Cooking Instructions: (If wanting to freeze this, follow freezer instruction BEFORE cooking. This recipe makes 1 loaf)
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the eggs, milk, ketchup, breadcrumbs and dry soup mix packet with a spoon. Using clean hands add the beef and combine the wet egg mixture with the beef until just combined, don’t over mix it.
- Shape into a loaf shape in an oval slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Take a spoon and ladle out and discard the fat that is surrounding the meat loaf. Cut the meatloaf into slices being careful not to scratch the slow cooker with the knife.
- Write the date and cooking instructions on a zip lock bag. Mix loaf as directed above. Place the meat loaf mixture into a zip lock bag that has been set into a reusable foil pan. The pan is just to keep the meat in to a loaf shape while freezing. Squeeze all the air out of the bag. Place the meat loaf in the freezer (leave it in the tin). Freeze for up to a month.
To cook after being frozen.
- Place the frozen meat loaf (still in the tin) in the refrigerator to thaw. About 36 hours is the perfect amount of time to thaw. Flip the meat loaf into the slow cooker, if you are careful it should stay in the correct shape. Cook as directed above.
Recipe Adapted from: Food.com
Freezer Meal Photos:
Below I added the meat into a ziplock bag while it is resting in an aluminum loaf pan. This helps keep the loaf shape while it freezes. And I can reuse these loaf pans next time I make these meat loafs.
Label them with the date and cooking instructions.
I freeze these meatloafs for up to a month. I thaw one in the fridge for about 36 hours, then I flip it over into the slow cooker, I can actually do this without touching the meat! Such a great dinner once you get these prepped for the month.
I hope you enjoyed this second edition of Freezer Meal of the Month. I sure am having fun making these handy meals! See you next week with another delicious slow cooker recipe!
Do you need more ground beef recipes? Here’s a few more for you to try:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker Land Your Man Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat Loaf Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash