If you’re looking to put a spin on traditional meatloaf then you must try this Salsa Meatloaf. Instead of ketchup, you’ll add salsa along with the other recipe staples. This simple and delicious recipe is a quick meal you can have ready for dinner all without breaking a sweat.
Looking for a traditional meatloaf recipe but for the crock pot? Here’s my Slow Cooker Meatloaf recipe to try.
Can I put salsa in meatloaf?
Out of ketchup and prefer something different? Salsa is a great choice to make if you are wanting a Mexican-style meatloaf. Salsa actually adds a unique flavor that meshes perfectly with all of the other ingredients.
- Ground Beef: Use very lean ground beef for meatloaf. This will prevent your meat from putting off too much grease.
- Salsa: Replaces the traditional ketchup ingredient and still provides moisture for the meatloaf.
- Breadcrumbs: Acts as the binding agent for this meatloaf.
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, parsley, and cumin. You can also add pepper to taste.
- Cheese: Enhances the Mexican touch to the salsa meatloaf.
Step One – In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients EXCEPT 2 tablespoons of fiesta blend cheese.
Step Two – Combine the ground beef mixture ingredients well (either by hand or with a spatula).
Step Three – Pat the meat mixture into a prepared slow cooker (lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray).
Step Four – Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
What to serve with this
- Serve this yummy meatloaf with additional toppings such as more shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, chives, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve individual pieces with classic meatloaf side options like mashed potatoes and vegetables.
- It could also be paired with a side of Mexican-style rice, tortilla chips, or refried beans.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
If you’d like to go for a heavier Mexican-style flavor, absolutely!
Instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground venison. The recipe will still yield a turkey mixture, chicken mixture, etc. that looks like the beef mixture.
You don’t have to, per se. However, this method allows for the meatloaf to be lifted out of the crockpot much easier and smoother. You can use a Reynolds slow cooker liner or foil.
I always get asked, “Why is my meatloaf floating in grease?” If you use ground beef with a 7% – 10% fat content, your meatloaf won’t be floating in grease.
Sure! You’ll just want to make sure the crackers are ground as much as possible so you won’t have cracker chunks in your meatloaf.
Store the meatloaf in the fridge for up to three days. What to slice the meatloaf until ready to reheat. Reheat in a skillet on the stove top. Great on sandwich bread!
- Foil or Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner
- 2.25 pounds lean ground beef (7 – 10% fat beef)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (or 1 cup finely mashed saltine crackers)
- 1 cup fiesta blend cheese divided
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Prepare a slow cooker by lining with aluminum foil or a slow cooker liner. Spritz the aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Liner is optional, but sure makes it easier to lift out. If you don't use foil, spray your slow cooker VERY well.
- Mix the ingredients EXCEPT 2 tablespoons of fiesta blend cheese together until well blended.
- Place the meatloaf mix into the slow cooker and pat down evenly.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Sprinkle the meatloaf with the remaining cheese and cover until melted.
- Carefully lift the meatloaf from the slow cooker using the aluminum foil. Place on a serving plate. Slice and serve with additional salsa, if desired. Don't slice the meatloaf unless you are going to serve those pieces, it will store better in a big chunk.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground venison. The recipe will still yield a turkey mixture, chicken mixture, etc. that looks like the beef mixture.
- Store the meatloaf in the fridge for up to three days. What to slice the meatloaf until ready to reheat. Reheat in a skillet on the stove top. Great on sandwich bread!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.