This Slow Cooker Chicken Ala King recipe harnesses all the flavors of tender chicken, a variety of vegetables, and a host of seasonings for ultimate comfort food that is absolutely delicious. The prep time is quick and the cooking time is incredibly short, meaning you can start this meal in the afternoon and have it on the table for dinner!
What is Chicken ala King?
Whether you write it (or pronounce it) as chicken ala king or chicken a la king, this classic chicken dish may remind you of a chicken pot pie but without the crusted biscuit shell. This meal consists of diced chicken breasts, frozen peas, carrots, mushrooms, and other ingredients slowly cooked in a cream sauce that all taste wonderful together.
This easy dinner recipe can be whipped up quickly and leave your family (and/or friends) happy and full. Thanks to the added puff pastry, this is a one-pot meal to try as soon as possible.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are diced and added to the crockpot along with all of the other ingredients. You’ll want to pick up a pack that’s at least one and a half pounds or more.
- Vegetables: Frozen green peas, carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms give this soup an incredible flavor and texture.
- Wet Ingredients: Cream of chicken soup, heavy cream, and chicken broth come together to make the creamy sauce that’s infused with the flavor of vegetables and seasonings and contributes to a rich creamy flavor.
- Cornstarch and Water: This combination helps with thickening the cream sauce.
- Seasonings: Celery salt, ground mustard, garlic, poultry seasoning, salt, pimentos, and black pepper add additional flavor to the entire recipe.
- Egg, Water and Puff Pastry: These ingredients are combined and brushed over the pastry to give it a golden brown look and slight crunch.
Step One – Place the cubed chicken in the crock pot, then add the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic.
Step Two – In a bowl, combine the chicken soup, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Stir the cornstarch and water together and stir into the soup, then add the celery salt, poultry seasoning, and ground mustard. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours or LOW for 5.5 hours.
Step Three – Thirty minutes before the chicken is finished cooking, stir in the green peas and pimentos.
Step Four – Continue cooking for the remaining 30 minutes.
Step Five – Unroll the puff pastry, then cut it into eight pieces. Place the pieces onto a baking dish lined with parchment paper.
Step Six – Beat the egg and water and brush over the pieces. Bake for 7 minutes or until golden brown.
Step Seven – Serve a helping of the chicken a la king over the cooked puff pastry shells. Enjoy!
Recipe FAQs and Variations
You can, but you will still need to cook the dish for the same amount of time, for the vegetables take a while to cook.
Green bell peppers, bell pepper, or green beans are vegetables you can add.
Mashed potatoes, sauteed vegetables, and white rice can be served with this dish. You can also sprinkle fresh parsley on top.
Place any remaining soup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers over medium to medium high heat until warmed throughout.
If you have leftover chicken available, yes. Use that!
Sure! This would help with the prep of other vegetables. The only veggies you’d want to make sure to use fresh are fresh mushrooms.
I would add more heavy cream and a bit more cornstarch.
Slow Cooker Chicken ala King
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ tsp. celery salt
- ¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard
- 1 ½ cups frozen green peas defrosted
- 3 Tbsp. chopped pimentos drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box puff pastry cut each sheet into 4 squares
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Place the cubed chicken in the slow cooker, then add the onion, celery, carrots, mushroom and garlic.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken soup, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Stir the cornstarch and water together and stir into the soup, then add the celery salt, poultry seasoning, and ground mustard.
- Stir the soup mixture into the meat and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the chicken is finished cooking, stir in the green peas and pimentos. Continue cooking for the remaining 30 minutes.
For the puff pastry:
- Heat the oven to 350° and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Unroll the puff pastry, then cut into 8 pieces. Beat the egg and water and brush over the pieces. Place on the prepared pan and bake for 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve the chicken a la king over the puff pastry squares.
- Place any remaining soup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers over medium to medium high heat until warmed throughout.
- If you don’t want to use puff pastry, mashed potatoes, sauteed vegetables, and white rice can be served with this dish. You can also sprinkle fresh parsley on top.
- Green bell peppers, bell pepper, or green beans are vegetables you can add in addition to the other vegetables.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.