Whipping up dinner tonight doesn’t get much easier than this three-ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. This delicious recipe makes the best crockpot chicken that can be used to create a variety of dishes your whole family will enjoy.
Add this salsa chicken to your Nacho Bar or serve it alongside some Slow Cooker Refried Beans.
Why you’ll enjoy crockpot salsa chicken
Most people enjoy the flavor of this crockpot salsa chicken recipe, especially since it’s made with just three ingredients. The combination of chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning tastes excellent and makes for super flavorful chicken that can easily be shredded with two forks.
This chicken recipe should definitely be added to your meal plan for taco night!
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are used because they are healthy and shred up nicely in the slow cooker.
- Salsa: Use any brand and type of jarred salsa you prefer! You can even use homemade salsa.
- Taco Seasoning: You can put together your homemade taco seasoning or go for the seasoning packets.
Step One – Place each chicken breast into the slow cooker and sprinkle on the taco seasoning.
Step Two – Pour salsa over the seasoned chicken.
Step Three – Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
Step Four – Remove and shred chicken. Remove all but a 1/2 cup of the juices from the slow cooker. Removing some of the juices keeps your taco shells and tortillas from getting soggy.
Step Five – Return the chicken to the crock pot and add the remaining salsa.
Step Six – Stir the shredded chicken and salsa together until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve salsa chicken
- Serve this salsa chicken in taco shells for quick and easy chicken tacos. Or use flour tortillas and make an easy burrito!
- Add a nice helping of shredded salsa chicken on a bed of white rice alongside avocado slices, soft tortilla quarters, and slices of lime.
- It also pairs well with Mexican rice, black beans, and Mexican corn.
- You can also add your favorite toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, beans, onions, diced tomato, avocado, green chiles, lettuce, and extra salsa.
- Use this chicken to make a chicken taco salad as well.
- The crock pot salsa chicken recipe is an excellent option in a nacho bar alongside a crock pot of taco meat.
- Switch things up with salsa verde, which will give a slightly tangy taste thanks to the flavors of tomatillos, lime juice, and garlic.
- Add cream cheese to make it creamy in texture and a little lighter in color.
- Ranch mix will give the salsa chicken an excellent flavor enhancement.
- Add hot salsa or two chopped jalapenos for a bold and spicy flavor.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container—Reheat in the microwave.
You can always add these seasonings to taste, but they aren’t necessary since the salsa and taco seasoning has so much flavor (and sodium).
There are so many to choose from. I recommend using any brand of salsa that you love. I often use pace picante, but I sometimes use a refrigerated style of salsa for a fresher taste.
No. For food safety, you must let the chicken defrost entirely before cooking it in the slow cooker.
Yes. It will be just as delicious as chicken breasts! Trimming your chicken thighs well before adding them to the crock pot.
Need a lower-sodium chicken dish? Use Mrs. Dash salt-free taco seasoning or chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder instead.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 oz. taco seasoning (two 1-oz. packets)
- 24 oz. jar salsa divided (this is a larger jar of salsa)
- To the slow cooker pot add the chicken breast, sprinkle with the taco seasoning and pour over ½ of the jar of salsa.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 Hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and transfer the juices into a liquid measuring cup. Shred the chicken and add it back into the slow cooker pot. Mix in the other half of the salsa and ½ cup of the juices. Removing some of the juices keeps your taco shells and tortillas from getting soggy.
- Serve with rice or in tortilla shells, enjoy!
- Use any brand of salsa that you love.
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, limes, jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, cheeses, green onion, hot sauces. Serve over rice, or in taco shells or tortillas! You really can serve it so many ways.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat in the microwave.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Leave a Reply