This recipe for Slow Cooker Refried Beans, is one of the first recipes I learned how to make in my slow cooker. It is such a great side dish, and it makes a ton of beans. Make sure to soak your beans overnight, it really helps soften the beans.
If you happen to own 2 slow cookers, this recipe for Slow Cooker Refried Beans goes great with my Chicken Enchilada Casserole. If you are interested in the Spanish Rice Recipe that is pictured, I got the recipe from Lil’ Luna’s, it is so easy to make, and to die for!
- 1 pound Dried Pinto Beans
- 32 ounces Chicken Broth
- 1 small white onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- The night before, sort the beans, this means go through the beans to make sure there is no rocks, or dirt clumps.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker, add enough water cover the beans, plus 3 inches or so.
- Do not turn on the slow cooker at this point. Let the beans soak overnight.
- In the morning, drain the water off the beans.
- Add the chicken broth, onion powder, and onion to the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 7 to 8 hours, or on LOW for 10 to 12.
- With a potato masher, or anything you can find to smash the beans, start smashing the beans until they are the consistency you want.
- Too dry? Add water.
- Too runny? Leave the lid off for 30 minutes or so.