Give your tacos a twist of flavor with this Slow Cooker Cool Ranch Tacos recipe. All you need are just four ingredients to whip up this easy recipe. Just a heads up, you may want to make a double batch because they’re that good!
Create a complete Taco Tuesday meal with my Slow Cooker Tomatillo Salsa and Slow Cooker Queso Blanco.
Why this recipe works
I want to thank a reader named Christine who wrote me the kindest letter in the mail with this recipe in it! It really made my day to receive such a kind letter. I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe too!
There’s no doubt that tacos are at the top of the list when it comes to most people’s favorite food. But sometimes, you may want to switch things up and try something new. This chicken ranch taco meat is the perfect way to change things up without being overwhelming.
You need a few pantry staples like ranch dressing, chicken broth, taco seasoning, and chicken breasts. Everything is dumped into the crock pot and cooked until the chicken is nice and tender. These are just as versatile as other taco meat and can be prepared using your favorite toppings. If you love cool ranch Doritos, then this is the recipe for you.
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts work best for this recipe. I’d use at least 4 pounds (or more) to ensure you have enough chicken.
- Taco Seasoning: One packet of original taco seasoning mix is all you need (unless you plan to use more chicken). You can keep it mild with the original mix or add a little kick by using a spicy taco seasoning mix.
- Ranch Seasoning: This is where the pop in ranch flavor comes in. Just one packet is plenty.
- Chicken Broth: The broth helps create a liquid base for the chicken to cook and seasonings to be mixed properly.
Step One – Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker first. Then, sprinkle over the ranch mix and taco seasoning.
Step Two – Pour chicken broth over the chicken and seasonings.
Step Three – Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Step Four – Shred the cooked chicken right in the slow cooker with two forks. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve:
- One of the most classic ways to serve ranch chicken is in flour tortillas or taco shells.
- Add your favorite taco toppings to the shredded chicken, such as shredded cheese, black beans, sour cream, and salsa.
- Don’t hesitate to make a delicious taco salad and a side of cilantro lime rice or Spanish rice.
Yes. You can use ground beef, shredded pork, or chorizo. Boneless thighs are another option if you want to stick with using chicken.
Of course! Some people like to make their own seasonings. It should taste relatively the same depending on the recipe you follow.
Add any remaining ranch chicken to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge (for up to 4 days). Reheat the chicken mixture over medium heat until warmed throughout.
No, do not use frozen chicken. Allow your frozen chicken to thaw before cooking it in the slow cooker. You want to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
Yes! Crunchy corn taco shells are great with this recipe, whether they are store bough or fried at home. You can also use soft corn tortillas.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Cool Ranch Tacos
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 oz. ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 1.25 oz. taco seasoning mix
- 14 oz. can chicken broth
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Spinkle over the ranch mix and taco seasoning.
- Pour over the chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred with two forks right in the slow cooker.
- Serve in your favorite taco shells with toppings.
- Do not use frozen chicken. Allow your frozen chicken to thaw before cooking it in the slow cooker. You want to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add any remaining ranch chicken to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge (for up to 4 days). Reheat the chicken mixture over medium heat until warmed throughout.
- Nutritional values do not include toppings or taco shells.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Gabrielle Gagner says
I love all of magical slow cooker recipies my husband said today that im the best cook ever.
Sarah Olson says
That is so great to hear!