The delicious flavors of fire-roasted green chilies, jalapenos, and ranch dressing marry together with boneless skinless chicken breasts for a Slow Cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken dish the whole family will enjoy. This puts an entirely new twist on one of your favorite appetizers.
Why you should try this jalapeno popper chicken recipe
If you think it’s hard to make jalapeno popper chicken, think again. This popper chicken recipe calls for just a few ingredients making prep time short and a cooking time that’s short enough for you to start in the early afternoon and have on the table by dinner time.
This is similar to a casserole dish so there’s quite a bit you can do with it. Whether you want a dish to mix with something else or use it as a main meal, this recipe has all the flavors of the classic jalapeno poppers appetizer. Get ready to add this to your family friendly recipes list.
- Chicken: I used thinly sliced chicken, but you can use regular breasts if you want.
- Cream Cheese: You can either sit this out ahead of time for it to soften or use the microwave method as suggested on the recipe card.
- Jalapenos: Fresh diced jalapenos are best to use in this recipe. Be sure to remove the seeds if you do not want to add any extra heat.
- Fire-Roasted Green Chiles: These are typically prepared and canned with young chiles, which means they don’t pack a lot of heat but have a nice flavor.
- Ranch Seasoning: Ranch adds an additional host of flavors such as onion powder, dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and chives.
- Shredded Cheese: I used Colby Jack cheese, but you can use any cheese you prefer.
- Slider Buns and Green Onion: For serving.
Step One – Add the chicken to the crock pot and sprinkle over the ranch dressing. Flip the chicken around until both sides are coated in the ranch mix.
Step Two – In a medium sized bowl, add the softened cream cheese, diced jalapenos, fire roasted chiles, and half of the shredded cheese. Stir the ingredients together until well combined.
Step Three – Spread the cream cheese jalapeno mixture evenly over the chicken.
Step Four – Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top for the jalapeno popper topping.
Step Five – Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5-4 hours or until the chicken reaches a tender consistency enough to shred easily.
Step Six – Use two forks to shred the chicken while still in the crock pot. Make sure everything is mixed together well and serve according to the suggestions below. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to serve
- One of the most popular ways to serve this super delicious jalapeno chicken popper recipe is on slider buns. It makes the perfect lunchtime meal or potluck treat.
- Another way to serve this chicken is over a bed of white rice or cauliflower rice.
- It also makes a well baked potato topping. Don’t forget to sprinkle it with extra green onions.
- You can also serve it with a variety of sides, such as brussels sprouts with melted butter, steamed vegetables, sautéed spinach, a side salad, or mashed potatoes.
Yes, though the chicken dish will be a little on the greasy side. If you want to make cooking time even quicker, use precooked rotisserie chicken.
Cooked bacon and sour cream make a good topping or you can add bacon to the cream cheese mixture.
Pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, and mild cheddar cheese are great substitutions or additions.
Add any remaining chicken to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat over medium-low heat until warmed throughout.
No. You can use the jalapeño peppers that come in a jar, they will be less spicy as well (or more fire roasted chiles).
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use thin sliced chicken, but you can use regular breasts if you want)
- 1 oz. ranch dressing mix
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. shredded colby jack cheese pre-shredded is fine
- 7 oz. fire-roasted chiles drained
- 2 jalapenos seeds removed and diced
- slider buns I use King's Hawaiian savory rolls
- sliced green onion
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the ranch dressing and flip the chicken around until it's coated in the ranch mix.
- In a medium sized bowl that is microwave safe, add the cream cheese. Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or until soft.
- Add the diced jalapenos, and fire roasted jalapenos, and half of the cheese. Stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chicken evenly and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cook on HIGH for 3.5 – 4 hours or until the chicken shreds easily.
- When the cooking time is up, shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker.
- Serve on slider buns with green onions sprinkled on top.
How to Video:
- Chicken thighs can be used instead of chicken breasts.
- For milder chicken, use more (mild) fire roasted chiles instead of any fresh jalapenos.
- Pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, and mild cheddar cheese are great substitutions or additions.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.