Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken soup is filled with beans and brown rice and is flavored with spices and enchilada sauce.
Hi all! How was your holiday? I’m sooo happy to be back to my regular grind, where I can pick what I want to make and be able to eat dinner in my pjs. This Mexican soup was the first recipe I made after the holiday. It’s not a heavy soup and it has healthy beans and brown rice in it, but trust me it doesn’t taste healthy!
The most work you have to do for this soup is presoak the pinto beans. It takes a half pound of beans. Put the beans in a bowl covered in water before heading to bed.
After the 9 hours of cooking time is done, I shred the chicken with 2 forks. Then I stir in 1 cup of Minute brand brown rice and cook for 45 minutes longer.
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1¼ cup dried pinto beans soaked overnight (see first step below)
- 1½ lbs. chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onion diced
- 7 oz. can fire roasted diced chiles
- 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 14.5 oz. can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 cup dry brown Minute Rice
- The beans need to be soaked over night in water to help soften them up. Do this by adding the beans to a medium sized bowl and covering with water.
- Add the soaked beans, chicken, chiles, enchilada sauce, stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cumin to the slow cooker. Stir. DO NOT ADD MINUTE RICE YET.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add the dried brown Minute rice to the slow cooker, stir.
- Cover and let cook on low for 45 minutes more.