If you love sizzling fajitas while dining out, then you must try these Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas. Lime and cilantro flavor this tender chicken. Add the chicken filling to tortillas and enjoy a wonderful healthy home-cooked meal.
Why This Recipe Works
Have you ever made Sheet Pan Fajitas before? Well, the crockpot is an excellent tool for those of us who don’t want to use the oven! With this recipe, you can make tender and flavorful chicken fajitas with little effort.
If you’ve never made fajitas in the crockpot before, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how easy this dish is to put together. You don’t even have to marinate the meat, chop some veggies and set it all up in your slow cooker before you head off to work. These fajitas are flavorful without the need for fajita seasoning or taco seasoning, everything is scratch-made in this recipe!
- Chicken – Chicken tenderloins are the perfect size for fajitas. Boneless skinless chicken breasts can be used, though you’ll have to shred them before serving.
- Vegetables – The usual suspects: Bell peppers and white or yellow onion.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, chili powder and minced garlic cloves.
- Lime – This adds authentic flavor to fajitas, it’s the missing puzzle piece to making fajitas at home.
- Cooking Oil – This adds a touch of fat to the white meat chicken, which makes it more flavorful. I use canola oil or vegetable oil here.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro will bring the fajitas to the next level! If you absolutely hate it, you can leave it out.
Step One – Add the bell pepper and onions to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Add the chicken tenderloins next.
Step Three – Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, chili powder, fresh garlic, and fresh cilantro.
Step Four – Squeeze over the lime. Cook on HIGH 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.
How to serve Fajitas
- Tortillas – Serve with corn or flour tortillas. The best way to heat them is to wrap them in foil then put them in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes. OR warm each one in a dry skillet set to medium heat.
- Refried Beans and Mexican Rice – Fajitas are wonderful if you put a little beans and rice in the tortillas, or serve on the side.
- Toppings – Fajita chicken is very flavorful on its own, though it’s even better with some toppings such as Salsa, guacamole, cheese, diced tomatoes, and sour cream!
Recipe FAQs and Varitaions
Yes, the chicken and vegetables in this recipe will cook fine if you put them into the slow cooker raw. You don’t have to cook chicken before putting it in the slow cooker; the crockpot will cook it perfectly, making it tender and flavorful.
I recommend thawing your meat before adding it to the slow cooker. Some studies suggest it isn’t safe to cook from frozen for the temperature stays in the danger zone too long.
This recipe is great for low-carb and keto diets. You’ll need to add some fat like sour cream topping, but otherwise, it’s an excellent option for a bowl or on low-carb tortillas.
Yes, you can make this into a freezer meal to cook later. Add all the ingredients to a ziplock bag. Freeze for up to three months. When you are ready to make it, thaw, and continue with the recipe.
Add the pepper during the last hour of cooking if you like them firmer. I recommend adding the onions initially; they take much longer to soften.
Add 1-2 minced jalapenos along with the other seasonings if you want a spicy fajita.
Place the chicken and vegetables in airtight containers. You can keep it in the fridge for up to three days or the freezer for three months.
After you taste this dish, you’ll want to add it to your slow cooker chicken recipes. Don’t be surprised when the family asks for it often- it’s that good!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 small white onion sliced
- 2 lbs. chicken breast tenderloins
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (or 1 tsp. dried garlic powder)
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small lime
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- warmed tortillas corn or flour
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Add the bell peppers and onions to the slow cooker. Toss them together with clean hands. Lay over the chicken breast tenderloins. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juices over everything in the slow cooker. Drizzle over the oil next.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with desired toppings. Enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.