Keep the kitchen cool this summer by making these easy Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas!
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas are a great summer recipe. I often make chicken fajitas in the oven, but it is way too hot to do this lately. Want beef fajitas instead? See my Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas recipe.
I throw this in the slow cooker after lunch and dinner is a breeze to put on the table. All I have to do is heat tortillas, and get the toppings out of the fridge.
These fajitas are made with chicken breast tenderloins and seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and a small amount of oil. I add the oil to flavor the chicken, peppers, and onions; it almost makes a dressing with the seasonings, garlic, and lime juice.
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
Yes! This recipe is very adaptable. You can use any of these chicken cuts in this recipe instead of chicken breast tenderloins.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Cubed or sliced chicken
- Bone in chicken works great though you will need to shred and debone it after it’s done cooking to serve.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas:
You will need these ingredients:
- Red and green bell pepper
- White onion
- Chicken breast tenderloins
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder
- Canola oil (or your favorite oil)
- Add the bell peppers and onions to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken tenderloins over that bell peppers and onion
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro.
- Squeeze the lime over the chicken.
- Drizzle over the oil.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours
How to serve:
- Warm tortillas – wrap in paper towels and heat in the microwave or in a skillet
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot Sauce
- Refried Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
We like to serve this meal buffet style. Plates start at the beginning of the buffet line, then tortillas, the fajita chicken and toppings. Place chips and salsa on the table for all to share and you have a fun homemade taco night.
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 small white onion sliced
- 2 lbs. chicken breast tenderloins
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small lime
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- warmed tortillas corn or flour
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Add the bell peppers and onions to the slow cooker. Toss them together with clean hands. Lay over the chicken breast tenderloins. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juices over everything in the slow cooker. Drizzle over the oil next.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with desired toppings. Enjoy!