This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken has a sweet and tangy sauce along with onion and green bell pepper! Great over brown rice and with steamed green vegetables.
I enjoy easy recipes like this that don’t need much work. After I get home, I put on a pot of rice and can get dinner served right away. Crockpot Hawaiian chicken will be one of your favorite healthy dinners!
When I think of Hawaiian recipes, I think of pineapple, green pepper, and a sweet sauce, this chicken recipe checks all of those boxes.
- Chicken breasts – Boneless skinless chicken breasts are great for this recipe. They stay moist in all the sauce. Another option is chicken tenderloins.
- Bell pepper – Green bell pepper is a staple in Hawaiian recipes.
- Pineapple – Crushed pineapple will sweeten and flavor the sauce; drain pineapple chunks. You can add the pineapple juice to the dish, though the sauce will be on the runny side.
- Bacon – Cooked and crumbled bacon adds a slightly smokey flavor to the recipe.
- Sauce ingredients – For the sauce, you will need barbecue sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper.
Step One – Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Sprinkle over the pepper and garlic powder. Add the bell pepper, crushed pineapple, barbecue sauce, cooked bacon, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything.
Step Three – Cook on low for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. The chicken will marinate as it slowly cooks.
Step Four – If desired, shred the chicken, or serve the chicken breasts whole or halved.
How to serve
- On Rice – Serve the chicken over rice along with the Hawaiian sauce. For a healthy option, serve with brown rice, or you can make white rice or even coconut rice. Great with a green side dish such as steam broccoli and topped your dish with sliced green onions.
- With Mashed Potaotes – You may not think of serving this chicken with mashed potatoes, but it is good! The salty mashed potatoes go great with the sweet and tangy chicken.
- As a Sandwich – Serve the shredded crockpot bbq Hawaiian chicken on hamburger buns with macaroni salad.
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe with no issues. You may need to degrease the sauce before serving by laying paper towels over it to soak up the grease.
If you want to make this even healthier, leave out the bacon. The sauce still has plenty of flavor without it.
Yes, add one sliced jalapeno to make spicy Hawaiian chicken. Or you can add a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper.
You can add other vegetables such as sweet yellow onion, thickly sliced carrots, green beans, and even water chestnuts.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (can use chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- 5 slices bacon, sliced and cooked
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained very well
- Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir the toppings on top of the chicken to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- If desired shred the chicken. Serve over white or brown rice, or hamburger buns. Enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.