This Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo is a perfect dish to add variety to your weekly dinner menu. The sauce is tangy and goes perfect over rice with steamed vegetables.
Hi Slow Cooker Friends! This is my 4th edition of Vintage Slow Cooker Recipe of the Month. I have seen recipes for Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo all over Pinterest and YouTube, all have rave reviews. Chicken Adobo is a Philippine dish, the sauce for this recipe is heavy in vinegar and soy sauce. I was trying to figure out where soy sauce belonged in a Philippine dish, so I researched and found on Wiki that Chinese traders introduced soy sauce to replace the traditional salt in this dish. I added a cup of chicken broth to soften out the hardness of the vinegar and soy, it worked very well.
See below I add the garlic and bay leaves on top. After the meal is done cooking I can easily fish the garlic and bay leaves out. I left the peppercorns in for serving because I was too lazy to fish those out. Beware though if you bite into a peppercorn it will be spicy.
I can’t put into words how good the sauce is. It would taste good as a broth soup, it’s that tasty.
I couldn’t be happier how this chicken and sauce turned out. My husband who has had more crock pot meals than he could ever want in his lifetime LOVED this meal.
My daughter loved this too, though I had to cook up noodles to go with her chicken because she still refuses to eat rice. Just when I think I couldn’t eat a better crock pot meal than the last one I made, this one takes the cake!
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 5 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white onion
- 3 garlic cloves left whole
- 3 small slices of peeled fresh ginger root
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- Steamed white rice
- Steamed vegetables
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add enough of the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, chicken broth and onion. Pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Add the garlic cloves, ginger slices, bay leaves and peppercorns on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Remove bay leaves, and garlic cloves if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!