The tangy flavor combination of bbq sauce and Italian dressing makes this slow cooker bbq chicken a family favorite that can be enjoyed any time of year. With just a few ingredients and a few hours of cook time, you’ll be glad you gave this recipe a try.
Why This Recipe Works
In today’s hustle of everyday life, families need feasible options to help put easy meals on the table. This is where slow cooker bbq chicken comes to the rescue. You don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen prepping food or standing over a hot stove.
Instead, you can dump all the ingredients in the crockpot and walk away. The only thing to consider at this point would be what side dishes you’d like to pair with this yummy meal. I’ll share a few serving suggestions later, but for now, check out how easy this recipe is to make.
- Chicken – To get the best results, use boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Brown Sugar – This helps add a sweetness to the tangy barbecue sauce and Italian dressing combo.
- Italian Dressing – Provides a tart kick to the overall sauce that surprisingly mends everything together.
- Salt and Pepper – Gives the chicken a little flavor of its own.
- Olive Oil – Adds a bit of moisture to the chicken breasts.
Step One – Place each breast in the crockpot and drizzle with olive oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper, then flip and repeat for the other side.
Step Two – Add Italian dressing, brown sugar, and bbq sauce. Stir until it is well combined.
Step Three – Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 5-6 hours.
Step Four – Shred the chicken while it’s still in the crockpot using two forks.
Step Five – To help the shredded chicken soak up the flavor, cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Serving ideas for shredded BBQ chicken:
- Sandwiches – When it comes to shredded chicken, you can’t go wrong with making a classic chicken sandwich. While you can go for regular buns, these are best served on Kaiser buns. Great topped with colelsaw and dill pickles.
- Wraps – The tender pulled chicken can also be served inside of wraps with a side of cheesy jalapeno corn or a nice helping of coleslaw.
- Salad – If you really want to take this meal outside the box, consider adding a nice helping on top of a bowl of salad (or rice) drizzled with a bit of zesty dressing.
- BBQ Pizza or Quesadillas – If you end up with leftovers from the suggestions mentioned above, have a go at making a mini shredded bbq chicken pizza or a few quesadillas. Mozzarella cheese and cilantro are a must when making BBQ pizza or quesadillas.
Recipes FAQs and Variations
If you want to add a spicy kick to this recipe, consider adding a few dashes (or teaspoon) of chipotle chili powder, paprika, or cayenne pepper. Continue adding until you’ve reached your desired level of spice.
Short answer, yes. However, you can 100% overcook the chicken. Because of the lower fat content of chicken breasts, there is the possibility of them drying out even if you check them often or early. It’s best to cook this recipe on low for the best results.
Yes. And the good part is nothing needs to change with the recipe!
Of course, you can never go wrong with Sweet Baby Ray’s; however, you can use what you’re most comfortable with. You can even have a go at making your own homemade bbq sauce. You can even use a spicy barbecue sauce.
If you just so happen to have them, pour the leftovers into an airtight storage container (glass is always best). It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to use a freezer-safe container. Reheat them on the stove over medium-low heat when you’re ready to enjoy them.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 16 oz. barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot and drizzle with olive oil, flip to coat. Sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Add the BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, and brown sugar, mixing to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes to let the chicken soak up the bbq flavor.
- Serve on (Kaiser) rolls with coleslaw, if desired.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.