Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is a recipe you must have in your back pocket. The shredded chicken can be used in so many recipes and can be frozen if needed.
I’ve received many emails and messages about how to make a basic slow cooker shredded chicken that can be used in other recipes that call for cooked chicken.
If you have a recipe that calls for a shredded or cut up a rotisserie chicken, this chicken will work perfectly! The chicken stays moist from the added butter (just a touch) and chicken broth, it is tender and shreds up easily.
How to make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chicken broth
- Salted butter
- Bay leaf
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and add remaining ingredients on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. When the cook time is up shred or dice chicken and use in your favorite recipes.
Can I use frozen chicken?
- Yes, if you do not have thawed chicken, frozen will work fine.
- If you use frozen chicken breasts be sure to keep the lid on the slow cooker the entire cook time, to ensure it cooks properly.
- Don’t use chicken that is extremely freezer burnt, it may have an off taste.
- I cook frozen chicken breasts for 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.
How to shred or dice the chicken:
- My favorite way to shred the chicken is with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Drain off part of the broth before doing so.
- If you want to make a quick job of shredding, use a handheld mixer on low speed and beat the chicken, and the chicken will shred quickly.
- If you need diced chicken, place the chicken breasts on a cutting board, cut the chicken into cubes for your recipe.
How to use shredded chicken:
- Hot chicken sandwiches – pile the chicken on buns and
servethem with barbecue sauce or buffalo style.
- Chicken soups – such as chicken noodle or chicken gnocchi.
- Mexican meals in a snap – use the chicken in tacos, taquitos, or even enchiladas.
- Perfect for picky eaters – Have picky eaters in your family? This chicken is great for those picky eaters and you can use remaining chicken in recipes for the rest of the family.
More chicken recipes here on The Magical Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Seasoning Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Can I freeze shredded chicken?
- Yes! You can freeze this chicken after it has cooled down. Place the chicken in ziplock bags or Tupperware, add a bit of the broth. Adding the broth will help prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to two months.
- To thaw the chicken place in the fridge for 24 hours before you need it, make sure to heat thoroughly before serving.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Size: 4 quart or larger
- 4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast (or boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 tsp. salt (sea salt if you have it)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter (no need to melt)
- 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- Add the chicken breasts (or thighs) to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, garlic powder and lay over the bay leaf and butter.
- Pour over the chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4. If you use frozen chicken breasts, keep the lid on the entire cooking time and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- When the cooking time is done, drain off a majority of the chicken broth (save the broth if you are going to freeze the chicken), leave about a half cup in the slow cooker with the chicken. Shred the chicken with 2 forks or use a hand-held mixer and use the beaters on low speed to shred the chicken.
- Use the chicken in your favorite recipe and enjoy. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.