One of my childhood favorites made easily in the slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is so simple to make! It’s a layered casserole with chicken breasts, ham, swiss cheese, sauce, and stuffing.
Why this recipe works
Did you grow up on frozen chicken cordon blue chicken breasts? I haven’t bought them in ages, but I remember how much I loved the flavor combination. I’ve made homemade oven chicken cordon bleu breasts, but they are very time-consuming.
This Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole can be loaded in the slow cooker within two shakes of a lamb’s tail. This is a layered dish and only needs 5 hours on low in the crockpot. I use cornbread stuffing mix for this recipe; the chicken would work fine instead.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Ham: Sliced ham is layered on the chicken for a salty contrast. You can use leftover ham, honey ham, or even deli ham, anything works!
- Swiss Cheese: A classic choice, you can also use provolone cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: This is the creamy sauce base.
- Milk: Thins out the soup base.
- Seasonings: Dried oregano, garlic powder, and pepper. No salt is needed; there is plenty of sodium in the ingredients.
- Stuffing Mix: One box of chicken stove top stuffing (often called instant stuffing).
- Butter: This is drizzled over the stuffing to top off the recipe.
Step One – Mix the condensed cream of chicken soup, milk, and seasonings. Set aside.
Step Two – Place the chicken breast down into your crock pot.
Step Three – Layer the ham over the chicken.
Step Four – Next, add the sliced swiss cheese.
Step Five – Pour the soup mixture over the layers you made and spread out with a spatula.
Step Six – Sprinkle over the dry stuffing mix and drizzle over the melted butter.
- Cornbread Stuffing: Look for cornbread stuffing (or savory flavor) to change up the recipe.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: For an entirely different twist, use pepper jack cheese for a blast of flavor.
- Almond Topping: For an added crunch, add a 1/4 cup of sliced almonds on top of the instant stuffing.
- Vegetables: Add a can of green beans, corn, or cut broccoli to complete this meal.
- Chicken thighs: Chicken thighs work great in this recipe; they turn out very moist.
No, use fully thawed chicken breasts for the best results.
Crock pot chicken cordon bleu is best with raw chicken, for raw chicken adds moisture to the overall dish.
Something happens while the chicken and the ham cook next together, where the pinkness from the ham transfers to the chicken. If your chicken temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s done cooking.
There are a few things you can do to cut the salt content. Use healthy request cream of chicken soup, low sodium ham, and unsalted butter.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ pound ham slices this doesn’t need to exact, just enough slices to cover the chicken
- 6 oz. pkg. sliced Swiss cheese
- 6 oz. pkg. cornbread Stove-Top® stuffing
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, milk, oregano, pepper and garlic powder until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the chicken breasts in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Add the ham over the chicken in an even layer.
- Next the swiss cheese in an even layer.
- Pour over the soup mixture and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle over the cornbread stuffing mix.
- Pour over the butter evenly over the stuffing.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
- Trying to cut back on sodium for this recipe? There’s a few things you can do to cut the sodium down. Use healthy request cream of chicken soup, low sodium ham and unsalted butter.
- Does your chicken still look pink? Something happens while the chicken and the ham cook next together, where the pinkness from the ham transfers to the chicken. If your chicken is 165 degrees Fahrenheit, then it’s done cooking.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
So many more Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes here:
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (without bacon)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken with Rice
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Alpine Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole