No Peek chicken is a creamy chicken and rice dinner topped with onions, I adapted this vintage recipe to do well in the slow cooker.
Hello! I haven’t done a vintage recipe since November, and it’s been killing me. My favorite recipes to do here on the blog are the vintage recipes that I convert to the slow cooker.
The recipes I’ve seen online call this meal either “No Peek Chicken” or “Forgotten Chicken”. The reasoning for the name of “No Peek Chicken” is that this recipe does best if you leave it be in the oven without peeking, though I am using the slow cooker for my recipe, the same principle is used. I am a firm believer in leaving the lid on the slow cooker the entire cooking time for most recipes anyway.
I use minute rice in my recipe. I have not had any luck with standard rice in the slow cooker, but have with minute rice in a few of my recipes. When I dove into making this recipe I was very unsure if the minute rice could hold up to 3.5 hours of slow cooking, but it did fine!
For this recipe, I start by mixing the soups, with one can of water, garlic powder, pepper and the Minute rice. I add the rice mixture and chicken to the slow cooker, then I sprinkle on the onion soup mix. It may seem like a lot of salty things in this recipe, but keep in mind the rice and the chicken are unseasoned. I did not take very many step by step photos of this recipe because I made a video instead, scroll down a bit to see exactly how to put this meal together in my video.
Below is the dish after cooking. The chicken is tender, rice has set up and there is still creaminess to the sauce.
What do you think of this meal? I love that it’s pretty much a complete meal besides maybe adding a simple salad. Have a great weekend!
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10.5 can cream of chicken soup
- 10.5 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can water measured from one of the cans above
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups Minute® rice not standard rice
- 1 oz. packet Lipton® onion soup mix
- Add the cans of soup, one can of water, garlic powder, pepper and Minute rice to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add half of the above mixture in the slow cooker. Lay over the chicken breasts. Spread over the rest of the rice mixture.
- Sprinkle over the soup mix.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours. Do not peek during the cooking time!
- Serve and enjoy!
See the other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes here on The Magical Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (without bacon)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken and Red Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken with Rice
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Alpine Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole