Using your slow cooker will help you easily recreate a baked ranch chicken meal, one that’s sure to become the next family favorite. Made with just five ingredients, this is the perfect chicken and potatoes recipe for busy weeknights.
If you want a creamy version of this type of meal, try my Creamy Ranch Chicken and Potaotes recipe.
Why this ranch chicken recipe works
One of the most classic ways to make this recipe is by using a sheet pan, homemade ranch seasoning, and cooking it in the oven. But when you use your crock pot, you’re cutting down on cooking time and getting your kitchen hot. A similar recipe I have with tomato flavor is my slow cooker full chicken dinner.
This dump-and-go combination only requires you to brown the chicken thighs, place them on top of diced red potatoes, pour over the melted butter, and drizzle over the ranch dressing mix. Cover, cook, and get a few things done while your delicious dinner cooks in the meantime. In addition to being an easy chicken recipe, it’s also a versatile dish, meaning you can add other things to it or serve it with a plethora of side selections.
I have no doubts that your whole family will love this mock sheet pan ranch chicken and potatoes meal!
- Bone-in chicken thighs: You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but I like to use bone-in for this recipe. The bone flavors the meat from the inside and helps retain moisture, making the chicken absolutely delicious.
- Cooking oil to brown the chicken: Use whatever cooking oil you prefer. You can’t go wrong by using extra virgin olive oil.
- Red Potatoes: These will be diced (or cubed).
- Ranch dressing mix: Use a ranch packet to make this easy unless you have your favorite homemade ranch seasoning ready to go.
- Salted butter: This is melted and poured over to create flavor and an oil base while the chicken and potatoes slowly cook.
Step One – In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add the oil after the pan is hot. Brown the chicken thighs on both sides until golden brown. No need to cook through. Set aside.
Step Two – Add the red potatoes to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over half of the ranch packet.
Step Three – Melt the butter and drizzle over the potatoes.
Step Four – Add chicken thighs on top of the potatoes.
Step Five – Sprinkle over the remaining ranch dressing packet over the chicken.
Step Six – Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours (chicken should be fully cooked). Serve warm and enjoy!
What to Serve and Variations
- This fork tender chicken is already served with perfectly seasoned potatoes, but you can also pair it with other sides like Slow Cooker Brussels sprouts, green beans, or slow cooker baby carrots.
- If your family loves vegetables, consider adding bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions to the cooking process.
- You can also sweeten it up by adding sweet potatoes with or instead of the red baby potatoes.
- When it comes to toppings, you can add chopped parsley, a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese, and even a dollop of sour cream.
Yes. They would work just the same. If they are on the bigger side, consider cutting each chicken breast down a bit.
I would definitely stick with ranch (hence the name of the recipe), but you can also add other seasonings such as crushed black pepper and garlic powder. If you make a homemade ranch mix, just add those in there as well.
Of course! Follow the recipe accordingly, except use a prepared baking dish for cooking. Use a moderate temperature between 375 and 400 degrees so the chicken doesn’t dry out and potatoes cook thoroughly.
The cooking time allows plenty of time for the chicken to be done throughout; however, when in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
It’s not necessary because of the melted butter, but you can still add a coat.
You can add all of the remaining chicken and potatoes in an airtight container together and store in the fridge or store them separately. Reheat on a baking sheet in the oven or in the microwave. Your entire family will love the leftovers!
Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken with Red Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cubed
- 1 oz. pkt. ranch dressing mix
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter melted
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add the oil after the pan is hot. Brown the chicken thighs on both sides, no need to cook through. Set aside.
- Add the red potatoes to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over half of the ranch packet. Drizzle over the butter.
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle over remaining dressing mix over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
How to Video:
- You can add all of the remaining chicken and potatoes in an airtight container together and store in the fridge or store them separately. Reheat on a baking sheet in the oven or in the microwave. Your entire family will love the leftovers!
- Don’t have ranch dressing mix? An Italian dressing mix will work just as well.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
More chicken recipes to make in your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (without bacon)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken with Rice
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Alpine Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole