Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole is a creamy and hearty dinner!
Hi again! I’m back this week with this Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole. This casserole is packed full of flavor! I love casseroles with rice in them, they seem to have a comforting taste to them, probably the carbs, haha.
My mom made a rice casserole growing up that had chicken, cream of chicken soup, broccoli and cheese. Though this casserole has totally different flavors, it sure reminds me of the broccoli dish my mom would make, the same stick to your ribs, creamy type of casserole.
I don’t add the rice until the end, it’s this Farmhouse Spanish rice pictured below. I never add rice straight to the slow cooker, I either cook it separate then add it, or I use Minute rice. This time I cooked up boxed Spanish rice on the stove top.
Below is the photo of the ingredients that get cooked for 6 hours: chicken, seasonings, soup, onion, Mexicorn, and jalapeño. If you don’t know what Mexicorn is, you can see what it looks like here. Mexicorn is corn with red and green bell peppers added.
I cook the rice as directed on the package then stir it into the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker at the end of the cooking time. I also add cheese and sour cream.
I let that cook for 20 minutes more for the flavors to combine and to let the cheese melt.
This recipe has a few more steps than my other recipes, you may want to watch my YouTube video below. You can follow me on YouTube here.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I will be back at the end of the week with another recipe.
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 (10.5-oz.) can cream of chicken soup (don't add water)
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 (11-oz.) can Mexicorn, drained (this is corn with red and green peppers)
- 1 seeded jalapeno, minced
- 1 (6-oz.) box Farmhouse Spanish rice
- 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes (needed to make the rice)
- 2 Tbsp. butter (needed to make the rice)
- 1.5 cups water (need to make the rice)
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheese, divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- 5-quart or larger
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Spread over the cream of chicken soup. Add the onions, Mexicorn, and jalapeno. (DO NOT ADD RICE, CHEESE OR SOUR CREAM YET!)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Towards the end of the cooking time start preparing the Farmhouse Spanish rice in a pan on the stove-top, you will need the diced tomatoes, butter and water to prepare. (If you use a different brand of Spanish rice use the ingredients listed on the box you buy)
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks, add the prepared rice, sour cream and 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Stir. Add remaining cheese on top and place the lid back on.
- Put the slow cooker on to HIGH and cook for an additional 20 minutes to let the flavors come together and to allow the cheese to melt.
I used my 6-quart oval Crock-Pot® for this recipe.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef