Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole is a creamy and hearty dinner!
Hi again! I’m back this week with this Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole. This casserole is packed full of flavor! I love casseroles with rice in them, they seem to have a comforting taste to them, probably the carbs, haha.
My mom made a rice casserole growing up that had chicken, cream of chicken soup, broccoli and cheese. Though this casserole has totally different flavors, it sure reminds me of the broccoli dish my mom would make, the same stick to your ribs, creamy type of casserole.
I don’t add the rice until the end, it’s this Farmhouse Spanish rice pictured below. I never add rice straight to the slow cooker, I either cook it separate then add it, or I use Minute rice. This time I cooked up boxed Spanish rice on the stovetop.
Below is the photo of the ingredients that get cooked for 6 hours: chicken, seasonings, soup, onion, Mexicorn, and jalapeño. If you don’t know what Mexicorn is, you can see what it looks like here. Mexicorn is corn with red and green bell peppers added.
I cook the rice as directed on the package then stir it into the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker at the end of the cooking time. I also add cheese and sour cream.
I let that cook for 20 minutes more for the flavors to combine and to let the cheese melt.
Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup don't add water
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 11 oz. can Mexicorn, drained (this is corn with peppers in it)
- 1 seeded jalapeno minced
These ingredients are added at the end:
- 6 oz. box Farmhouse Spanish rice (follow stove-top instructions)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes needed to make the rice
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter needed to make the rice
- 1.5 cups water needed to make the rice
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheese divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Spread over the cream of chicken soup. Add the onions, Mexicorn, and jalapeno. (DO NOT ADD RICE, CHEESE OR SOUR CREAM YET!)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Towards the end of the cooking time start preparing the Farmhouse Spanish rice in a pan on the stove-top, you will need the diced tomatoes, butter and water to prepare. (If you use a different brand of Spanish rice use the ingredients listed on the box you buy)
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks, add the prepared rice, sour cream and 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Stir. Add remaining cheese on top and place the lid back on.
- Put the slow cooker on to HIGH and cook for an additional 20 minutes to let the flavors come together and to allow the cheese to melt.
How to Video:
Here are my other favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (without bacon)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken and Red Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Alpine Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole