Vintage Slow Cooker Baked Beans Hawaiian – Sweet Baked Beans with pineapple chunks and smoky ham.
Hi slow cooker friends! I found this old ad for “Baked Beans Hawaiian” and knew it would be a perfect recipe for Vintage Slow Cooker Recipe of the Month. Before making this recipe I hadn’t bought B&M baked beans before. I was pleasantly surprised what great quality they were, they are flavored great and the beans were very glossy and not smashed up.
I chose to brown the ham in a skillet in butter before adding to the slow cooker. It gives it a touch more flavor. If I was in a hurry or camping and didn’t want to dirty an extra dish I would throw the ham in without browning, and it would do fine.
I arranged the pineapple on top of the beans after I stirred the rest of the ingredients together so they would stay sitting on top.
These beans turned out great. I did not add brown sugar like I usually do to baked beans. The pineapple cooks out some juices and sweetens the pot.
I hope you try this recipe for your next get-together. I will be back next week with a round-up of slow cooker sandwiches. Have a great week!
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 (28-oz.) cans original B&M Baked Beans
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (20-oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
- Set a skillet on the stove-top over medium high heat. Melt the butter. Add the ham to the butter and stir around until golden brown. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans, onions, barbecue sauce, mustard, and pepper. Stir.
- Arrange the pineapple chunks on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!