A simple recipe for Pineapple Barbecue Glazed Chicken Drumsticks will get dinner on the table with minimal effort.
I created this Pineapple Barbecue Glazed Chicken Drumsticks recipe for the days I don’t get to the store early enough to make an all-day crock pot meal.
By the time I get home from the store on Sunday, it’s after lunch time, and I’m irritable. This drumstick recipe could be popped in the slow cooker and be ready for dinner in about 3 hours.
How to make:
Gather these ingredients:
- Chicken drumsticks (with the skin on)
- Barbecue sauce – I use BBQ Pete’s
- Pineapple slices
- Cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
That’s all you need for this simple recipe.
- Add the oil to a hot skillet on the stove-top. Sprinkle the drumsticks with the salt and pepper then add them to the hot pan. Brown on all sides, no need to cook through.
- Add the drumsticks to the slow cooker. Pour over the barbecue sauce and a half cup of the pineapple juices and lay over pineapple slices.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or LOW for 5-6 hours.
What I love about this meal is that drumsticks usually come in giant 5-pound packages, I put half in the freezer for the next week. I seem to forget how cheap drumsticks are; they run about .99 cents a pound at my local grocery store.
What to serve this with:
The chicken cooks up so lovely in the slow cooker, fall off the bone tender, and the barbecue sauce and pineapple make a perfectly tangy and sweet sauce for the chicken. I hope you try this recipe and have a great week!
- Slow Cooker – 3 quart or larger
- 2.5 lbs. chicken drumsticks about eight drumsticks
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 cup favorite barbecue sauce
- 20 oz. can pineapple slices (1/2 cup of juices reserved)
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add the cooking oil. When the pan is hot, brown the chicken on all sides. Add the chicken to the 3-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Pour over the barbecue sauce evenly over the chicken. Next, pour over a ½ cup of juices from the pineapple can. Using a fork, add the pineapple slices over the chicken and sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours. Do not open the lid during the cooking time. If you do not brown the chicken, or your chicken is frozen, cook for longer.