What’s the best way to make chicken drumsticks? Well, if you’re looking for a delicious recipe that is easy to prepare and will be ready in just a few hours, then look no further. These slow cooker pineapple barbecue glazed chicken drumsticks are not only tasty but also takes minimal effort.
Why this recipe works
Pineapple barbecue chicken drumsticks are a delicious and easy meal idea that is perfect for the summer. This recipe features succulent, juicy, tender chicken drumsticks marinated in a sweet pineapple sauce.
The ingredients are simple: chicken drumsticks, pineapple slices, and barbeque sauce. This recipe calls for you to brown the chicken in a pan, so you’ll want to set aside time to defrost the drumsticks and cook them.
After that, the slow cooker does all of the work!
How to make bbq chicken in the crockpot
- Chicken drumsticks– about eight drumsticks
- Salt and Pepper
- Cooking oil – to brown the chicken
- Barbecue sauce – For this recipe I like to use a barbecue sauce from a glass jar. These seem to be less gloppy and have a smooth texutre. My favorite brand is BBQ Pete’s.
- Pineapple slices– Be sure to save 1/2 cup of juices for the recipe.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1 -Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper. Then heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, adding the cooking oil. Once the pan is hot, carefully place the chicken in the pan and brown the chicken on all sides.
Step 2 – Next, add the chicken to the slow cooker. Measure and pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken, making sure it’s covered evenly. Pour ½ cup of juices from the pineapple can over the chicken.
Step 3 – Place the pineapple slices over the chicken and sauce.
Step 4– Cover the mixture and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours. Please do not open the lid during the cooking time as it will cause the chicken not to cook properly.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
You do not have to brown the chicken. However, you may want to remove the skin before serving.
Yes, you can make barbeque chicken in the oven as well. Set your oven to 350 degrees and allow it to preheat for about 15 minutes before adding the chicken. Bake for an hour or until done.
You can use two pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts. And you can forgo browning.
Yes, though add a total of 1 cup of pineapple juice (or water). Pressure cook for 15 minutes and let it naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
Chipotle: Add 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo along with the barbecue sauce
Peach: Use a can of diced peaches instead of pineapple; add a half cup of the juices.
Root Beer: Use a 1/2 cup of root beer instead of the pineapple juices.
How to serve
To really make these pineapple barbeque glazed chicken drumsticks shine, serve them with the pineapple slices and juice from the crockpot. You might even warm a bit of extra barbeque sauce for dipping.
Make this delicious recipe all year round without heating up the kitchen. This recipe is perfect for dinner or a Sunday family meal. Serve this chicken along with one or more of these ideas:
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
- 2.5 lbs. chicken drumsticks about eight drumsticks
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup favorite barbecue sauce
- 20 oz. can pineapple slices (1/2 cup of juices reserved)
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, add the cooking oil. When the pan is hot, brown the chicken on all sides. Add the chicken to the 3-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Pour over the barbecue sauce evenly over the chicken. Next, pour over the 1/2 cup of reserved juices from the pineapple can. Add the pineapple slices over the chicken and sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
How to Video:
- Chipotle: Add 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo along with the barbecue sauce
- Peach: Use a can of diced peaches instead of pineapple, add a half cup of the juices as well.
- Root Beer: Use a 1/2 cup of root beer instead of the pineapple juices.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.