Save room in the oven and cook sweet potatoes in the slow cooker, taste just like they have been baked in the oven. Perfect for the holidays smothered in butter and brown sugar.
Did you know you can “bake” sweet potatoes in the slow cooker? You can make a big batch and they turn out super tender! You can also do this with baked potatoes.
It’s that time of year when I need to start thinking about putting together my holiday meals. Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes will be the easiest side for my holiday dinner for sure. I just wrap them in foil and put them in the slow cooker! It doesn’t get any easier than that!
How to make sweet potatoes in the slow cooker
- 7-8 sweet potatoes – I use red garnet sweet potatoes for they have the deepest color.
- Foil – We like to wrap our potatoes in foil. However, if you prefer not to use foil, you can skip it.
Step 1 – Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. No need to poke holes, that is for microwave cooking.
Step 2 – Wrap each sweet potato in foil, no need to add butter or oil.
Step 3 – Place the sweet potatoes in a 6-quart slow cooker.
How long do I cook sweet potatoes in the slow cooker
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
What do I serve with baked sweet potatoes?
- Brown sugar
- You can even stuff with pulled pork and top with barbecue sauce and sour cream.
What can I do with leftover sweet potatoes?
How to I store sweet potatoes?
- Refrigerate – Place the foil wrapped sweet potatoes directly in the fridge in their foil. They will last three days.
- Freezer – I like to add an extra layer of foil before freezing.
- To reheat – Remove foil and place on plate. Microwave for about a minute or until hot.
Yes, you can place the sweet potatoes directly in the slow cooker without foil. The recipe turns out just the same!
You can place the sweet potatoes (with or without foil) on a baking sheet and cook them in the oven at 350° degrees Fahrenheit for one hour and thirty minutes.
Poking holes in sweet potatoes is for microwave cooking. There is little chance that a sweet potato will explode in an oven or slow cooker.
Yes, after the cooking time is done, peel off the skins and discard them. Add the sweet potatoes to a bowl along with, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mash with a potato masher.
Slow Cooker “Baked” Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 7 small to medium sized sweet potatoes
- brown sugar
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- If desired, line the bottom of the slow cooker with a piece of foil (or parchment) for any escaping juices.
- Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place in the slow cooker. No need to poke holes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.